PARK(ing) Day in Cambridge
In our third annual celebration of PARK(ing) Day, we are working with 35 different community organizations, businesses, and City departments in transforming 46 parking spots into something else for the day.
PARK(ing) Day 2014 will take place on September 19th!
Check out the international PARK(ing) Day map! We've got more spots than anybody else worldwide.
What is PARK(ing) Day?
PARK(ing) Day is an annual international event where residents, artists and activists come together to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into “PARK(ing)” spaces: temporary public places. The project began in 2005 when Rebar, a San Francisco art and design studio, converted a single metered parking space into a temporary public park in downtown San Francisco. Since 2005, PARK(ing) Day has evolved into a global movement, with organizations and individuals creating new forms of temporary public space in urban contexts around the world.
The mission of PARK(ing) Day is to call attention to the need for more urban open space, to generate critical debate around how public space is created and allocated, and to improve the quality of urban human habitat … at least until the meter runs out!
Original concept by Rebar: www.rebargroup.org.
Who's Participating and Where
- Harvard University, Office for Sustainability: Contemplating Your Impact
- Longfellow House, Washington's Headquarters NHS: Longfellow's Garden
- Metro Pedal Power: Local Human Based Transportation for our Cities
- MassRides: Commuting Sustainably
- Cambridge Police Department: Meet the new bomb dogs!
- The Door Store: Yard Games!
- Cambridge Elections Commission: Voter Registration
- Fletcher Maynard Academy: Peace Couch
- Cambridge Energy Alliance: Energy Efficiency Fun
- Community Development Department, Housing Division: Micro House
- Green Cambridge: Reduce Our Carbon Footprint
- City of Cambridge Mayor's Office: Food Pantry Donation
- MassBike: Bike Parking and Art
- Boston Cyclists Union: A Bike-Friendly Smoothie Cafe
- Central Square Business Association: The Central Square Cultural District Putt Putt (5 spot course!)
- CCTV: NeighborMedia Outdoor Newsroom by CCTV
- UMass Lowell: Baby Got Bounce
- SHED(x)change + Cambridge Resident's Alliance: C3 in C2
Upper Broadway (Inman Street to Cambridge Public Library)
- MIT Media Lab, Social Computing Research Group: Bike Inlet
- Hubway: #HubwayEveryday
- Harvard Urban Planning Organization: Studio Park
- Cambridge Health Alliance, Department of Family Planning: "Protect your health. Protect the planet."
- Naveo Credit Union: Prize Wheel
- Department of Public Works, Recycling Division: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Compost!
- Community Development Department, Community Planning: Playful Planning
- Community Development Department, Economic Development: Take the Inman Square Survey!
- Community Development Department, Environmental and Transportation Planning: Get with the sustainability game!
- Cambridge Bicycle Committee: Decorate a bike and play our bike-packing game!
- Charles River Transportation Management Association: Check out the EZRide Shuttle!
- Cambridge Pedestrian Committee: Walk This Way
- Cambridge Bicycle Committee/Urban AdvenTours: Free Bicycle Safety Tune-ups
- Friends of the Tobin: Maria Montessori's Backyard (Vassal Lane, near the Tobin School)
- Cambridge in Motion / Cambridge Public Health Department: Celebrating Healthy Markets and the Men's Health League (Windsor Street at Main Street)
For More Information
For more information on PARK(ing) Day in Cambridge, contact Jennifer Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617/349-4671.