What is Carsharing?
Carsharing gives Cambridge residents a transportation option that complements the city’s robust transit, bicycling, and walking networks. Carshare members get the benefit of a private car without the cost and responsibility owning one.
How Does Carsharing work?
- You apply for membership; once you are approved, the carshare company sends you a card that unlocks the vehicle doors and ignition. There is no need to go to a central car rental office to pick up the keys.
- You can reserve a car online or on a smartphone.
- You can choose from a large variety of car types, including electric vehicles, hybrids, pickup trucks, and luxury cars.
- Reservations can be by the hour or day.
- Insurance and gas is usually included in the rental cost.
- Peer-to-peer carsharing allows residents to put their own cars into a carshare pool to be used by neighbors.
How Does Carsharing Support City Goals?
Carsharing is a critical tool in the city’s efforts to reduce car-dependence, traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions. Once residents become carshare members, they tend to change their behaviors in two important ways:
- They often get rid of their cars or delay buying one
- They drive less and use transit, bike and walk more
How Many Private Cars Does a Carshare Vehicle Take Off the Road?
National research shows that each carshare vehicle takes 9 to 13 privately owned cars off the road. That means that even if you aren’t a carshare member, you will benefit because your neighbor will be able to live without a car, which helps reduce the parking burden and traffic in residential neighborhoods.
Carshare Services That Operate in Cambridge
For More Information
For more information, contact Stephanie Groll at email@example.com, or 617/349-3673.