Logan Noise Study
The City of Cambridge participates in the Logan Airport Noise Study Advisory Committee, which seeks to find ways to reduce noise coming from Logan Airport and devise changes to airport flight patterns and procedures so that fewer people in the greater Boston area are affected by overflight noise.
The City also has a seat on the Massport Community Advisory Committee and collaborates closely with the towns of Arlington, Belmont, and Watertown to address airplane noise concerns.
- Upcoming events
- RNAV Study Public Meeting by FAA - Wed. Feb. 22nd at 6PM @ 10 Plaza Boston at the State Transportation Building. This meeting will give an introducation to work that the FAA is undertaking to review current RNAV flight patterns and how those procures can be changed to reduce the noise impacts to communities.
- Boston West Fair Skies meets regularly to discuss issues of airplane noise. Sign up for updates and meeting times at:www.bostonwestfairskies.org
- Recent updates from Representative Michael E. Capuano and Senator Elizabeth Warren
- Recent correspondence with the FAA regarding noise concerns:
- Recent City Council communication:
- To provide additional information to Cambridge residents concerned with airplane noise, Cambridge held a Logan Airplane Noise in Cambridge - Public Information Meeting and presentation on March 3, 2015.
- If you would like further information about the regional airplane noise study, see the Boston Logan Airport Noise Study project web page for more details.
On January 14, 2013 the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) released the Draft Environmental Assessment for the Boston-Logan International Airport Runway 33L Area Navigation (RNAV) Standard Instrument Departure (SID). You can find the document via the project website. The City of Cambridge submitted comments on this study which you can find here.
If you have a question or concern about aviation-related noise at Boston Logan, please complete Massport’s on-line form. First-time users will have to register on the portal before submitting their initial complaint. You may also call Massport’s Noise Complaint Line at 617/561-3333. This line is staffed by Massport’s Noise Abatement Office from 6:00 A. M. to 5:00 P. M. on business days. Calls during off hours, weekends and holidays, utilize an automated Noise report/message line for the Noise Abatement staff by calling 617/561-3333.
For answers to some of Massport’s most frequently asked questions, please check out the Noise FAQ’s. You may also find it helpful to read about How Logan Operates.
When a complaint is reported, the date and time are researched and a response is generated- typically within 3 to 4 weeks. The report will normally include information (e.g., aircraft operations, altitude relative to complainant’s address, meteorological information, runways in use and background information if appropriate). There are limits to the type of information can be provided for non-Logan Flights, such as helicopters and small propeller aircraft. Please note that repetitious e-mails within a very short time period will be treated as one general report of noise disturbance.
Track Flights with Flight Monitor
Massport provides a near live flight track display tool called Flight Monitor. This function can help residents identify flights that may impact their neighborhood.
For More Information
For more information contact Bill Deignan at 617/349-4632 or firstname.lastname@example.org.