MBTA System-Wide Accessibility
Established in 2007, the Department of System-Wide Accessibility works with all other MBTA departments to execute the T′s mission of becoming the global benchmark for accessible public transportation. Keep in mind the following when utilizing MBTA services:
- All MBTA buses are accessible.
- Since 2007, all MBTA elevators have been operational approximately 99% of the time.
- Portable bridgeplates are available at all Red, Orange and Blue line stations if needed to span the gap between the platform and car floor. Ask the MBTA station personnel or train operators if you require the use of a bridgeplate.
- All customers have the right to use accessibility equipment (such as ramps, elevators, mobile lifts, and bridgeplates).
- Service animals are always welcome on MBTA vehicles and property during all hours of operation.
To learn more about the accessibility services offered on the MBTA fixed-route system, as well as developments underway to further expand access to all MBTA customers, call customer service at 617-222-3200 (voice) or 617-222-5146 (TTY) or visit the MBTA website.