- During Extremely Hot Conditions, drink plenty of water and see our hot weather tips.
During Extremely Hot Conditions, drink plenty of water and see our hot weather tips.
During Extremely Hot Conditions, drink plenty of water and see our hot weather tips. The elderly, small infants and those in poor health are most at risk for heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Also at risk are joggers and those who exercise outdoors. Prepare for the hot and humid weather by taking precautions to stay healthy.
Some Heat Wave Tips:
- Eliminate jogging or do it at night when it is cooler;
- Dress in lightweight, light colored loose fitting clothing;
- Stay out of the sun;
- Drink plenty of water and cool non-alcoholic beverages;
- Avoid alcohol, coffee and beverages with caffeine;
- Stay indoors and use fans and air conditioners if possible;
- Eat light food and avoid high protein and high calorie foods that increase body heat;
- If someone becomes ill, seek medical advise. If a person develops a high temperature, is flushed with dry skin, bathe with cool water and seek medical advice immediately.
- Blackouts often occur during extremely hot weather. Keep a battery-operated flashlight on-hand.
- Candles can be a fire hazard with open windows or fans so do not leave unattended.
- Please check on your elderly or infirm neighbors to see if they need help.
- Stay cool by going to a mall, movie theater museum or library (sse more suggestions below)
Places to Cool Off in Cambridge
- CambridgeSide Galleria and/or other indoor shopping plazas or movie theatres
- Public Libraries and Museums (Harvard & MIT museums, the Museum of Science, Boston museums)
- Cambridge Parks and Waterplay Areas, Charles River, Boston waterfront or Harbor islands
The Waterplay Map is your guide to Cambridge parks and playgrounds that feature water play sprinklers to help beat the summer heat.
Additional Resource Links:
Amercian Red Crosss Heat Wave Tips
Ready.gov Heat Sheet