The City of Cambridge encourages and promotes involvement by residents in the decision-making process through participation in a variety of boards and commissions. Serving on a board or commission can be a rewarding experience and an excellent way to contribute to the quality of life of the community in which you live or work. We rely greatly on the interest and involvement of those volunteers who seek a more active role in the functioning of their local government.
Selection for appointment to one of our boards and commissions is generally based on the following characteristics:
- A broad perspective and concern for the welfare and progress of the City
- A familiarity with the City’s history, issues and goals
- Interest in the functions/responsibilities of the board or commission under consideration
- City residency, in most cases
- A willingness to devote time and effort to the work of said board or commission
- Awareness of and understanding of the City’s ordinances and policies
- Balanced and diverse representation on boards and commissions as feasible
Vacancies being advertised at this time:
Cambridge Peace Commission (Application Deadline 4-27-15)
Commission members are volunteers appointed by the City Manager who work with the staff in fulfilling the mission of the Cambridge Peace Commission and in accomplishing its goals. Members are expected to attend regular meetings, participate in organizing the Commission’s events and activities, and do some work outside of Commission meetings. Members are encouraged to learn about the day-to-day work and projects of the staff, and offer advice and viewpoints that reflect the Commission’s mission and role within City government.