The City of Cambridge encourages and promotes involvement by residents in the decision-making process through participation in a variety of boards and commissions. Serving on a board or commission can be a rewarding experience and an excellent way to contribute to the quality of life of the community in which you live or work. We rely greatly on the interest and involvement of those volunteers who seek a more active role in the functioning of their local government.
Selection for appointment to one of our boards and commissions is generally based on the following characteristics:
- A broad perspective and concern for the welfare and progress of the City
- A familiarity with the City’s history, issues and goals
- Interest in the functions/responsibilities of the board or commission under consideration
- City residency, in most cases
- A willingness to devote time and effort to the work of said board or commission
- Awareness of and understanding of the City’s ordinances and policies
- Balanced and diverse representation on boards and commissions as feasible
Below is a list of current vacancies.
Council on Aging (Application Deadline Friday, Mar. 14, 2014)
The purpose of the board is to promote and encourage existing and new services and activities intended to enhance and improve the quality of life of older persons in the city; advise the City Manager on all matters pertaining to the welfare of elderly Cambridge citizens; and advocate for Cambridge elderly residents. Board members also support Council on Aging/ Senior Center staff with community outreach for services, benefits, activities and programs available to them. Applicants must be age 60 or older and a Cambridge resident.