The City of Cambridge encourages and promotes involvement by residents in the decision-making process through participation in a variety of boards and commissions. Serving on a board or commission can be a rewarding experience and an excellent way to contribute to the quality of life of the community in which you live or work. We rely greatly on the interest and involvement of those volunteers who seek a more active role in the functioning of their local government.
Selection for appointment to one of our boards and commissions is generally based on the following characteristics:
- A broad perspective and concern for the welfare and progress of the City
- A familiarity with the City’s history, issues and goals
- Interest in the functions/responsibilities of the board or commission under consideration
- City residency, in most cases
- A willingness to devote time and effort to the work of said board or commission
- Awareness of and understanding of the City’s ordinances and policies
- Balanced and diverse representation on boards and commissions as feasible
Fresh Pond Advisory Board (Application Deadline 6-21-13)
The primary purposes of the Advisory Board are to oversee the general stewardship of Fresh Pond Reservation in accordance with the Fresh Pond Master Plan and to maintain collaborative relationships among City departments and user groups that impact the Reservation. The Advisory Board also provides a forum for public discussion and evaluation of proposals for land-use and land-management projects.
Cambridge Human Rights Commission (Application Deadline Extended to 6-28-13)
Made up of 11 volunteers who serve three-year terms, the CHRC meets on the first Thursday of every month at 6 p.m. The Commission seeks Cambridge residents representing the diversity of Cambridge. Commissioners participate in subcommittees on outreach and public education, and work with Commission staff on the investigation, mediation and resolution of complaints filed with the Commission which allege discrimination in housing, public accommodation, employment or education based upon race, color, sex, age, religious creed, disability, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, family status, military status or source of income.
Visiting City Hall
Hours of Service
City Department Directory
Robert W. Healy
Richard C. Rossi
Deputy City Manager