The City of Cambridge encourages and promotes involvement by residents in the decision-making process through participation in a variety of boards and commissions. Serving on a board or commission can be a rewarding experience and an excellent way to contribute to the quality of life of the community in which you live or work. We rely greatly on the interest and involvement of those volunteers who seek a more active role in the functioning of their local government.
Selection for appointment to one of our boards and commissions is generally based on the following characteristics:
- A broad perspective and concern for the welfare and progress of the City
- A familiarity with the City’s history, issues and goals
- Interest in the functions/responsibilities of the board or commission under consideration
- City residency, in most cases
- A willingness to devote time and effort to the work of said board or commission
- Awareness of and understanding of the City’s ordinances and policies
- Balanced and diverse representation on boards and commissions as feasible
Vacancies being advertised at this time:
Harvard Square Advisory Committee (Application Deadline 2-6-15)
The Committee will review all major development actions in the Harvard Square Overlay District; provide a forum within which a wide range of perspectives on development actions can be heard; advise both public agencies and private interests of development and urban design issues raised by a development or planning proposal; and suggest avenues of research which might be pursued to resolve identified conflicts; and make the project better fulfill both public and private objectives for the Harvard Square Overlay District. The Committee also reviews and comments on applications for variances and special permits in the district.