The Cambridge Fire Department was established by an act of the state legislature on March 17, 1832 with a suppression force of 6 engines and 1 ladder truck. Today the Department is a professional organization which provides fire protection, emergency medical service, heavy rescue service, and protection to the environment. The Cambridge Fire Department is staffed by 274 sworn members and 8 civilian members under command of Chief Engineer Gerald R. Reardon. The Department is a member of Metrofire, the Boston area mutual aid network. Thirty four cities and towns, including Massport, participate in Metrofire.
The Department consists of 2 Fire Suppression Divisions and 4 Staff Divisions. Suppression companies operate from 8 fire houses strategically located throughout the city. The Fire Investigations Unit investigates undetermined, suspicious, and incendiary fires.
The sworn members of the department maintain membership in Local 30, International Association of Firefighters, Professional Firefighters of Massachusetts, AFL/CIO/CLC. Local 30 is the oldest local in the Commonwealth.
Headquarters: 491 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02138
- Chief Engineer: Gerald R. Reardon
- Assistant Chief: James F. Burns
- Assistant Chief: Gerard E. Mahoney
- Administration: 12
- EPAC: 3
- Fire Prevention: 6
- Technical Management: 5
- Training: 3
- Fire Suppression: 255