Division 1

Division 1

History of Division 1

In 1912, the title, Deputy Fire Chief, came into use in the Cambridge Fire Department. Prior to this time, the titles, Assistant Chief and District Chief were used. In 1914, the Deputy Fire Chief was quartered with Engine 5 and Fire Headquarters in the new fire house in Inman Square, 1384 Cambridge Street. From 1914 until 1934, the Deputy Fire Chief was located at the Inman Square firehouse. On 25 February 1934, the Deputy Fire Chief was relocated to new quarters at the new Fire Headquarters at 491 Broadway.

On 12 June 1956, the city was divided into 2 fire suppression divisions. The downtown division was called Division 1. The Division 1 quarters remained at 491 Broadway until 1973. In 1973, the Division 1 Deputy Chief was relocated to Engine 2 quarters at 378 Massachusetts Av., Lafayette Square. In April of 1981, Division 1 relocated to its present location, the Inman Square firehouse.

Division 1 Deputy Fire Chiefs

Group 1, Edward B. Morrissey

Group 2, Frederick B. Ikels

Group 3, Michael J. Morrissey

Group 4, Sean P. White

For questions about Division 1, contact the Division 1 Deputy Chief Here:

Historical information provided by Ed Morrissey

Division 1 Statistics
Calendar Year Responses Building Fires
2016 1819 42
2015 1767 43
2014 1637 51
2013 1685 56
Fiscal Year Responses Building Fires
2012/2013 1614 43
2011/2012 1294 41
2010/2011 1687 54
2009/2010 1641 79
2008/2009 1665 53