Engine 5

Engine 5 Photo

Photo by Tara Bithia

2007 Pierce Sabre 1250 gpm pump, 500 gallon water tank

History of Engine # 5

The Patrick H. Raymond Engine Company Number 5 was organized on Nov. 30, 1874 in new quarters in Atwood's Corner, now called Inman Square. The company was named in honor of Chief Patrick Raymond, the Chief of the Cambridge Fire Department and also the first Black fire chief in the United States. The company began service with an 1863, 400 gpm, horse drawn steamer and a 2-wheel, horse drawn hose wagon.

In 1913, the company relocated to temporary quarters at the city stables on Hampshire St., while their own quarters were demolished and rebuilt. In January, 1914, Engine 5 moved into the new quarters on the old site. This was also Fire Headquarters, the city’s first. Prior to this, the Chief’s office was located at city hall. Later, the Fire Alarm Office was moved to floor #3 of this building. (Both Fire Headquarters and Fire Alarm moved to new quarters in 1933). Engine 5 became the first motorized unit in the Department, using a 3-wheel tractor to pull an 1876 steamer and a new Knox motor hose and chemical wagon.

Engine 5 became single unit in 1918 with the delivery of a new American LaFrance 1000 g.p.m. triple combination pump. The company became double unit again in 1925 following the delivery of a new American LaFrance hose wagon. While responding to a multiple alarm fire in Somerville, on Nov. 10, 1933, Engine 5’s Pump was involved in a serious motor vehicle accident. The pump was totaled and a spare 1917 American LaFrance pump was placed in service. A new Seagrave, 1000 g.p.m. was placed in service on Jan 1, 1935.

In July, 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. Engine 5’s Wagon was involved in a serious motor vehicle accident with a rubbish truck on Jan. 7, 1958. The wagon was totaled and a spare was placed in service. A new Ford/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service by the company on March 18, 1958. On Dec. 23, 1962, a 1960, Pirsch, 1000 g.p.m. pump, (formerly Engine 1’s), was placed in service. In July, 1967, a new International/Farrar hose wagon was placed in service.

On Nov. 28, 1977, Engine 5 relocated to the quarters of Ladder 2, 386 Portland St., while a new floor was installed in their own quarters. The company moved back to 1384 Cambridge St. on Apr. 3, 1978. A new Hendrickson/Continental 1250 g.p.m. pump was placed in service on May 4, 1979. On Feb. 5, 1982, a new International/Maxim hose wagon was placed in service. Engine 5 became single unit on June 17, 1985, as the wagon was reassigned to Engine 7. On May 16, 1986, a new International/Saulsbury wagon was placed in service and Engine 9’s 1971 Maxim, 1250 g.p.m. pump was assigned to Engine 5. Engine 5’s Hendrickson pump was reassigned to Engine 9. On Aug. 11, 1989, the original 1979 Hendrickson pump was reassigned to Engine 5. On Aug. 8, 1991, a new Pierce Lance, 1250 g.p.m., four-door- cab pump was placed in service.On 28 April 2000, the wagon was placed out of service. Engine 5 became a single unit company at this time. On 9 December 2007, a new Pierce Sabor 500 gallon tank, 1250 g.p.m. was placed in service.

For questions about Engine Company # 5, contact the captain of Engine 5 Here:

Historical information provided by Ed Morrissey

Engine # 5 Statistics
Calendar Year Responses Building Fires
2016 1960 36
2015 1887 37
2014 1785 47
2013 1415 46
Fiscal Year Responses Building Fires
2012/2013 1590 42
2011/2012 1545 40
2010/2011 2034 45
2009/2010 2027 74
2008/2009 2009 47

Engine 5 photo january 2017

Engine 5 - group 4 (17 Jan 2017)