Cool Shelter Open at Citywide Senior Center Tuesday, Aug. 18
Cambridge Cool Shelter Open at Citywide Senior Center Tuesday, Aug. 18
Due to the continued high heat and humidity, the City of Cambridge has issued a heat alert for Tuesday, August 18 and will open the Citywide Senior Center, 806 Massachusetts Avenue as a cool shelter for seniors from 8:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. For more information, call 617-349-6060.
The Cambridge Emergency Management Department warns that extremely hot and humid conditions are predicted. The elderly, small infants and those in poor health are most at risk for heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Also at risk are joggers and those who exercise outdoors.
Some Heat Wave Tips:
1. Eliminate jogging or do it at night when it is cooler
2. Dress in lightweight, light colored loose fitting clothing
3. Stay out of the sun, sunlight increases body heat and sunburn prevents the release of body heat
4. Drink plenty of water and cool non-alcoholic beverages
5. Avoid alcohol, coffee and beverages with caffeine
6. Stay indoors and use fans and air conditioners if possible
7. Eat light food and avoid high protein and high calorie foods as these increase body heat
8. If someone becomes ill seek medical advice. If a person develops a high temperature, is flushed with dry skin; bathe with cool water and seek medical advice immediately. Call 911 for medical emergencies.
9. Blackouts often occur during extremely hot weather. Keep a flashlight with fresh batteries close by. Please remember that candles are a serious fire hazard.
10. Please check on your elderly or infirm neighbors to see if they need help.