Boston/Cambridge July 4 Road/Bridge Closures
Boston/Cambridge July 4, 2011 Road/Bridge Closures*
In preparation for the annual Boston Pops Concert and Fireworks Monday, July 4 at the Hatch Shell, Charles River Esplanade in Boston, Mass. State Police and DCR Officials, working in conjunction with Cambridge, announce upcoming road and bridge closures. Also listed below are the two events at the Esplanade.
Sunday, July 3, 2011
- No parking on Mugar Way in Boston between Arlington St. and Charles St. until 8 a.m. on July 5, 2011.
- Charles River walkway adjacent to the Charles River closed to pedestrians from the Community Boating area to DCR’s Hatch Shell. Storrow Drive walkway remains open.
- Oval area in front of the Hatch Shell closed to public for Boston Pops rehearsal.
- Storrow Drive closed to westbound traffic from the Lee Pool to Berkeley St., including the entrance from Charles St. Circle. Westbound traffic can re-enter Storrow Drive at Berkeley St.
- The Arlington St. exit from the Storrow Tunnel (eastbound/inbound) will close.
Monday, July 4, 2011
Road and Bridge closures
- No parking on Memorial Drive (either side) between Fowler St. and Longfellow Bridge;
- No parking on Cambridge Parkway, Museum Road and North Point Boulevard.
- Storrow Drive closed in both directions between Leverett Circle and Kenmore Square.
- Storrow Drive exit ramp in the Liberty Tunnel will be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles.
- Ramps from Beacon St. to Storrow Drive eastbound and westbound will close.
- Closures will include the on-ramps to Storrow Drive from Berkeley St., Charlesgate Area (heading eastbound), Bowker Overpass from Park Drive, and Charles St. Circle (heading westbound).
- No parking or boat launching at Magazine Beach Area or Riverside Boat Club.
- Pedestrian footbridge to the Esplanade at Charles St. Circle closed.
- Pedestrian footbridge from Beacon St. to the Esplanade closed.
- Mugar Way at Beacon St. closed to all pedestrian traffic.
- The right lane of Charles River Dam Road (O’Brien Highway) southbound will be closed to stage maintenance and response vehicles.
- Longfellow Bridge closed to vehicular traffic in both directions. Pedestrian access will be allowed.
- Memorial Drive closed in both directions between Longfellow Bridge and Mass. Ave.
- Main Street, Cambridge, closed from Third Street to the Longfellow Bridge.
- Ames Street, Cambridge, closed from Main Street to Memorial Drive.
- Wadsworth and Amherst Streets, Cambridge, closed
- Land Boulevard, Cambridge, from Binney Street to Longfellow Bridge closed.
- Hayward, Carlton, Charlotte’s Way, and Dock Streets in Cambridge, closed.
- Access allowed to One Memorial Drive only with issued permit.
- Memorial Drive closed between Massachusetts Avenue Bridge and the BU Bridge.
- Massachusetts Avenue Bridge closed to vehicles in both directions. Pedestrians will be allowed to cross.
- Vassar Street in Cambridge closed from Massachusetts Avenue to Memorial Drive. Access will be allowed for residents only.
- Third St. in Cambridge becomes one way from Main St. to Msgr. O’Brien Highway
- Craigie Draw Bridge (at Leverett Circle) open for vehicular traffic for 2 hours or until traffic starts to subside. Small boats that can pass under bridge will be allowed to pass.
* Massachusetts State Police and DCR officials may adjust times of closures in order to ensure public safety.
Boston Pops Concert & Fireworks Display Monday, July 4
Beloved tradition for Boston and the nation.
Hatch Shell, Charles River Esplanade. Fireworks start at dusk, (8:30 p.m).
Boston Pops Orchestra Preview Concert Sunday, July 3
Hatch Shell, Charles River Esplanade, Boston. 8:30 p.m.
Visiting City Hall
Hours of Service
City Department Directory
Richard C. Rossi
Lisa C. Peterson
Deputy City Manager