The City of Cambridge encourages and promotes involvement by residents in the decision-making process through participation in a variety of boards and commissions. Serving on a board or commission can be a rewarding experience and an excellent way to contribute to the quality of life of the community in which you live or work. We rely greatly on the interest and involvement of those volunteers who seek a more active role in the functioning of their local government.
Selection for appointment to one of our boards and commissions is generally based on the following characteristics:
- A broad perspective and concern for the welfare and progress of the City
- A familiarity with the City’s history, issues and goals
- Interest in the functions/responsibilities of the board or commission under consideration
- City residency, in most cases
- A willingness to devote time and effort to the work of said board or commission
- Awareness of and understanding of the City’s ordinances and policies
- Balanced and diverse representation on boards and commissions as feasible
Vacancies being advertised at this time:
Cambridge Planning Board (Application Deadline 8-26-16)
The Planning Board includes seven members and two associate members. The Board meets approximately three times a month on Tuesday evenings. Persons with a general interest in effective city planning and/or specific expertise in such areas as architecture, urban design, urban planning and zoning are encouraged to apply. Planning Board members must be residents of the City of Cambridge.
Cambridge Council on Aging Board (Application Deadline 8-26-16)
The Council on Aging Board promotes services and activities intended to enhance and improve the quality of life of older persons in the city; advises the City Manager on all matters pertaining to the welfare of elderly Cambridge citizens; and advocates for Cambridge elderly residents. Board members also support the Council on Aging and Senior Center staff with community outreach related to senior services, benefits, activities and programs.