Help Give Used Furniture a Second Chance
Cambridge trash spikes about 30% during popular move in/out times in May/June and August/September. Much of this trash is furniture and household items that are in good condition, and could be donated.
Please consider contacting one of the local non-profits below to donate furniture that would otherwise go in the trash. Almost all offer free pickup of your clean, usable items in good condition (no stains, pet hair, bed bugs or rips) and most only require 1-2 weeks’ notice for pickup. Most of these organizations also take clothing, kitchenware, linens, rugs, mirrors, media and working electronics.
- Salvation Army accepts mattresses, bedroom, living, dining room furniture, and household items. For free pickup, call 1-800-SA-TRUCK, or use their online form at www.satruck.org.
- MA Coalition for the Homeless accepts mattresses, living/dining room, bedroom furniture, and household items. For free pickup, call (781) 595-7570 x13 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aid to Incarcerated Mothers accepts mattresses, living/dining room, bedroom furniture, and household items. For free pickup, call (617) 536-0058.
- Boomerangs accepts mattresses, living/dining room, bedroom furniture, and household items. No mattresses. For free pickup, call (617) 309-7220 or use their online form at shopboomerangs.org or drop off at 563 Mass Ave from 12 noon-7pm.
- MIT Furniture Exchange accepts mattresses, living/dining room, bedroom furniture, and household items. No mattresses, drop-side cribs, or old TVs. Call (617) 253-4293 or email email@example.com to ensure your items are accepted and get free pickup for large donations. Or, bring to 350 Brookline St, Tues/Thurs, 10am-4pm and the first Saturday of the month, 10am-1pm. Visit http://web.mit.edu/womensleague/fx/
- Epilepsy Foundation accepts mattresses, living/dining room, bedroom furniture, and household items. No mattresses, upholstered furniture, or appliances. For free pickup, call (888) 322-8209 or use their online form at donatenewengland.org. Drop-off (couches OK) at Savers in West Roxbury, 1230 Veterans of Foreign Wars Parkway, Mon-Sat, 9am-9pm, Sun, 10am-7pm.
Waited until the last minute and can’t arrange for a pick up? Try:
- Boston.Craigslist.org. It’s free to post and you can list items for a low price or free, and it’ll be gone in no time especially if you include a photo and good description. Last resort, post it as a “Curb Alert” with a photo, noting the time and location you will put it at curb for trash collection (no earlier than 6pm the day before), and someone might just come and take it!
- Freecycle.org. Again, put a detailed listing of your item(s) and connect with someone looking for what you are offering.
Trash. If it’s a ripped, torn, stained, about-to-fall-apart mess…unfortunately it probably is trash. If you live in a building with City service, we will pick up ONE piece of furniture per week.
Donating furniture and household goods helps the environment and people in need. And, as a bonus, many donations are tax deductible.
Learn more about furniture donation at www.cambridgema.gov/Furniture. To sign up for monthly recycling newsletters, email firstname.lastname@example.org.