CITIZEN ALERT: Cambridge Police Investigate Two Armed Street Robberies on 5/13
Cambridge Police continue to investigate these crimes to determine if they are connected
The Cambridge Police Department is asking residents to be vigilant after two armed street robberies occurred on the night of May 13th which both involved two male suspects showing a handgun.
The first incident occurred at approximately 9:00 p.m. when a male victim walking alone on a path in Russell Field in North Cambridge was approached by two black males wearing dark clothing. One of the suspects displayed a small black handgun and demanded the victim’s iPhone. The victim was unharmed, and the two suspects fled down Dudley Street.
The second incident occurred approximately one hour later at 10:00 p.m. in the area of Fairmont Street and Magazine Street in Cambridgeport/Riverside. A male victim in his 20’s was approached by two black males who were both described as dark skinned, in their early 20’s, and approximately 5’7” in height. One of the suspects displayed a small black handgun and demanded the victim’s phone and wallet. The victim was unharmed.
Cambridge Police continue to investigate these crimes to determine if they are connected.
To avoid being victimized, Cambridge Police encourage residents to take the following precautions when walking at night:
- Do not wear earbuds, headphones, or listen to music while walking alone.
- Always walk with a friend or in a group when possible.
- Avoid the use of cell phones, tablets, or other electronics when walking alone. The visibility of these expensive items could encourage suspects to target you.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times and trust your instincts.
- Walk with confidence on the street and at a good, steady pace. Keep your head up and observe your surroundings. Don't look down at the ground.
- If you feel you are being followed, show you are suspicious – Turn to look at the person. This sends a clear message that you will not be taken by surprise.
- Change directions. If someone is following you on foot, cross the street and vary your pace. If the person following you is in a car, turn and walk in the opposite direction.
- If approached, DO NOT RESIST. The best course of action is to hand over money and whatever other belongings are demanded and try to disengage from this confrontational and potentially dangerous situation as soon as possible. Remember, your belongings can always be replaced.
- Try to remember descriptive information about the robber (height, age, race, etc.) to relay to police when reporting the incident.
More safety tips are available on the Cambridge Police Department’s website at www.CambridgePolice.org/SafetyTips.
Anyone with information is asked to call Cambridge Police at 617-349-3300.
Those who wish to provide information anonymously may dial the Cambridge Police Anonymous Crime Tip Hotline at 617-349-3359 and leave a message. Anonymous tips may also be sent via text message to 847411. Begin your text with TIP650 and then type your message. To send anonymous tips via email, visit www.CambridgePolice.org/Tips.