The City of Cambridge Scholarship Fund
The City of Cambridge Scholarship Fund was established in 1993 to provide financial assistance to Cambridge residents who wish to pursue post secondary education. Through the Scholarship Fund Program, the City has awarded thousands of dollars to college-bound high school seniors and others who want to pursue higher education. These scholarships are possible thanks to the generosity of Cambridge residents, business owners and taxpayers who support the annual fund. In fiscal year 2015, the City awarded 71 scholarships of $2,500 each. With the increasing cost of higher education as well as continued economic uncertainty, these scholarships help ease the financial burden for many Cambridge individuals and families.
The City of Cambridge Scholarship Fund is administered by the Finance Department. The Scholarship Committee, which is comprised of six Cambridge residents appointed by the City Manager, reviews all applications and selects the scholarship recipients.
Make a Contribution
Checks made payable to the City of Cambridge Scholarship Fund may be mailed to: Cambridge Scholarship Fund, City of Cambridge, P.O. Box 2005, Cambridge, MA 02139 or can be dropped off in person at the Finance Department Cashier’s window during regular business hours. Please click here for a contribution form to enclose with your contribution.
Apply for a Scholarship
Interested residents may download the application by clicking on the link below, completing it and obtaining appropriate signatures before submitting it for consideration. The deadline for the FY16 scholarship application, and all supporting documentation, is March 7, 2016. Applications may be obtained at Cambridge Public Schools, Cambridge Public Library branches and at Cambridge City Hall or you can:
Click here to print out the application form
- Must be a resident of Cambridge. (All ages may apply);
- Must be attending, have received admittance to, or have an application pending at an accredited education institution beyond the high school level prior to the award date (May 2016);
- Scholarship is paid directly to the education institution, and must be used during the 2016-2017 academic year;
- Prior recipients are NOT eligible; the City Scholarship Award is one-time only.
Application Submission Documents
- Completed application form;
- Transcript of grades from high school, college or other post secondary institution;
- Student evaluation completed by high school or college counselor/advisor, a member of the clergy, a teacher/professor, or a professional associate as part of the application;
- Completed financial aid questionnaire as part of the application.
Selection Process and Criteria
The Scholarship Committee, comprised of six Cambridge residents who are appointed by the City Manager, reviews and ranks each application. Committee members do not see the name of the applicant to ensure a completely fair review process. Each application is evaluated and ranked based on academic achievement, community involvement or extracurricular activities, financial need and special circumstances.
If you have any questions or need assistance either making a contribution or submitting an application, please contact the City's Finance Department at 617-349-4220.