Why Curbside Compost in Cambridge
Why Curbside Compost in Cambridge?
Why is composting a good thing?
- It’s nature's way of recycling food scraps and compost makes wonderful soil to grow healthy food.
- It’s good for the environment and reducing waste feels good. Love food, hate waste!
- It helps protect the climate by reducing potent greenhouse gas emissions at landfills.
- Curbside compost collection will help the City control trash costs and meet its goals to reduce trash 30% by 2020 and 80% less by 2050.
- Farming and gardening with compost requires less water and helps to avoid the use of fertilizers and pesticides.
Are other communities doing this?
Yes! There are city-wide curbside composting programs active in Seattle, San Francisco, Portland (OR), Denver, Madison (WI) and Toronto. Cambridge, Massachusetts will be one of the first east coast cities in the US to pilot a curbside compost program!