Legal Advocacy Resources

Civil Legal and Advocacy Services

Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) provides free civil (non-criminal) legal assistance to low-income people residing in Greater Boston in the following areas of the law: elder, family, housing, health and disability, Medicare, housing, welfare and immigration.

Cambridge and Somerville Legal Services (CASLS) is a unit within the Greater Boston Legal Services that offers legal assistance to residents of Cambridge, Somerville, Arlington, and Belmont. Legal assistance is offered in the following areas: Disability rights, special education, benefits, housing (tenants only), and elder issues (benefits, housing, nursing, protective services issues, guardianship defense, access to health care).

Community Legal Services and Counseling Center (CLSACC) provides free civil legal aid and affordable psychological counseling to low-income people. CLSACC provides legal assistance in housing, immigration and family law, along with disability benefits.  Offers various psychotherapy and support for refugees and immigrants.

Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) of the Boston Bar Association provides free civil legal assistance to low-income residents of Greater Boston. Handles cases in the following areas: Landlord/Tenant, Home ownership, Foreclosure Prevention, Family Law (no domestic violence emergencies), Guardianship, Probate (Wills & Estates), Bankruptcy, Unemployment Insurance, Masshealth (Medicaid) Prior Approval, Criminal Record Sealing, Consumer, Assistance to Non-Profit Organizations.

Disability Law Center (DLC) of Massachusetts is a private, non-profit organization responsible for providing protection and advocacy for the rights of Massachusetts residents with disabilities. The DLC provides information, referral, representation, and technical assistance regarding legal rights and services for people with disabilities. No income limit.

Tenant Advocacy Project (TAP) is a student practice organization dedicated to representing residents of publicly subsidized housing before local housing authorities. TAP provides information regarding denial or termination of public or subsidized housing, Section 8 termination, and housing grievance hearings. TAP is also available to answer general landlord/tenant questions.

Small Claims Advisory Service is a non-governmental Massachusetts public service organization that provides free legal information regarding Massachusetts small claims law (amounts less than $7,000) and procedure. This is a public service organization run by Harvard undergraduates.

Harvard Legal Aid Bureau is a student-run legal services bureau that specializes in four major areas of practice: housing, family, government benefits, and wage and hour law. Students represent low-income clients in civil matters in the Massachusetts courts.The assistance offered ranges from referrals to full case representation.