- Police Department>
- ADVISORY: Cambridge Police Warn Residents to be Vigilant following Suspicious Fires
ADVISORY: Cambridge Police Warn Residents to be Vigilant following Suspicious Fires
Cambridge Police and Cambridge Fire officials are asking residents to be vigilant and take safety precautions following two suspicious fires at residences in the Avon Hill area of the Peabody neighborhood.
Both fires happened in the early morning hours, with the first occurring on August 23rd at approximately 6:15 a.m. on Bellevue Avenue and the second on September 5th at approximately 6:45 a.m. on Wyman Street.
Residents are encouraged to take the following safety precautions to protect themselves and their property:
- Check batteries in smoke alarms and ensure they are operating.
- Keep trash receptacles away from your home, garage, etc.
- DO NOT use grills on porches or on any floor of your home.
- Avoid smoking on porches or while sitting in bed or on couches.
- Dispose of cigarettes properly in deep ashtrays or cans with sand.
- Keep porches clear of items, furniture, grills, etc.
- Remove all highly flammable items from areas close to your home, such as piles of leaves or papers, volatile liquids, etc.
- Keep your home secure: Lock all doors and windows including basement doors and windows.
- Keep lights on at night: Leave your front and back porch lights on.
- Have an escape plan and discuss it with your family or housemates: Plan two routes of escape from any room and pick a meeting spot safely away from the house.
- Do not stop to collect any belongings. Consider putting valuable or irreplaceable items in a fire-proof box now so you will not be tempted to look for them when escaping.
- Do not reenter a burning building for any reason.
Cambridge Police and Cambridge Fire are actively investigating these incidents and ask anyone with information to call 617-349-3300. Those who wish to submit tips anonymously via phone, email, or text message, please visit www.CambridgePolice.org/Tips for more information.
For more information on these fires and other crime concerns in Cambridge, please visit www.CambridgePolice.org/BridgeStat to access our monthly BridgeStat crime report.
Hours of Service
Cambridge Police Department
Robert C. Haas
Email Us with general inquiries about the department or questions about resources/programs offered by the police. DO NOT use this form to submit tips or report crimes in progress.
125 Sixth Street