- Police Department>
- ADVISORY: Cambridge Police Share Information about Housebreaks in Peabody
ADVISORY: Cambridge Police Share Information about Housebreaks in Peabody
The Cambridge Police Department has identified an ongoing pattern of housebreaks in the Peabody neighborhood.
Most of these housebreaks are occurring along the 1500-1800 blocks of the Massachusetts Ave corridor. This series has grown to 20 incidents with the majority of the breaks occurring through first floor apartments in multi-unit buildings. In a high percentage of these incidents the point of entry has been through an unlocked window between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
It should be noted that housebreak activity has been seen in other neighborhoods as well, and housebreaks are one of the primary topics highlighted in the October edition of our monthly BridgeStat crime report.
CPD will be deploying additional resources to affected areas help prevent these crimes, and residents can find more detailed information about housebreaks and other issues in the October edition of BridgeStat, released today, and located at www.CambridgePolice.org/BridgeStat.
To help prevent these crimes, and to avoid becoming a victim, please remember to follow these simple tips to protect your residence and your belongings:
- ALWAYS lock your doors and windows. Doors should be made from strong wood or metal and should be locked with a deadbolt. Install guards on windows that prevent them from being raised more than a few inches.
- Try “casing” your own home, at night and during the day. Attempt to gain access to your home when the doors and windows are locked and “secure.” Make sure you have some identification on you in case your neighbors call the police.
- Leave a light on (perhaps on a timer) when you go away, even for the evening. Leave a television or radio on as well.
- Be vigilant. If you suspect suspicious activity around your home, your neighbors’ homes, or in your neighborhood, please report it to the police immediately by calling 9-1-1.
- Request a Residential Security Survey from the Cambridge Police Department, which provides a general assessment of the vulnerability of your residence. For more info, please call (617) 349-3236.
Hours of Service
Cambridge Police Department
Acting Police Commissioner
Email Us with general inquiries about the department or questions about resources/programs offered by the police. DO NOT use this form to submit tips or report crimes in progress.
125 Sixth Street