ADVISORY: Cambridge Police Share Street Robbery Information
Arrests made, tips shared.
Cambridge Police are asking residents to be vigilant in light of recent street robberies across the city and the region.
While several arrests have been made, two recent street robberies in Cambridge involved a male suspect approaching a female from behind and holding an object, possibly a knife, to the victims’ neck and demanding money.
One of these incidents occurred on January 10th on First St. at Athenaeum St. and another on January 21st on Allston St. at Kenwood St. Both victims were walking alone in the dark between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.
While it is unknown at this time if these two robberies are related, Cambridge Police would like to remind residents that if approached and asked for your belongings, do not resist – your belongings can be replaced it is not worth risking physical harm to protect them.
Police also ask residents to take the following precautions when walking at night:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times and trust your instincts.
- Always walk with a friend or in a group when possible.
- Walk with confidence. Keep your head up to observe your surroundings and don't look down at the ground.
- If you feel you are being followed, show you are suspicious – turn to look at the person. It sends a clear message that you will not be taken by surprise.
- Do not wear ear buds, headphones, or listen to music when walking alone.
- If someone is following you, cross the street and vary your pace.
More safety tips are available via the Cambridge Police Department website at www.CambridgePolice.org/SafetyTips.
Anyone with information about these crimes or possible suspects is asked to call the Cambridge Police Department at 617-349-3300.
Anonymous tips may also be submitted via the Cambridge Police MyPD App or by visiting www.CambridgePolice.org/Tips.
Hours of Service
Cambridge Police Department
Acting Police Commissioner
Email Us with general inquiries about the department or questions about resources/programs offered by the police. DO NOT use this form to submit tips or report crimes in progress.
125 Sixth Street