July 3-4: Boston/Cambridge Road Closures
Detailed information about road closures/traffic restrictions affecting Cambridge and Boston on July 3-4
The following information details the road closures in effect on July 3-4 in Cambridge and Boston.
- Right hand travel lane on Storrow Drive westbound will be closed.
- Esplanade walkway adjacent to the Charles River closed to pedestrians from the Community Boat Club area to the Hatch Shell. All pedestrians will be directed over the Charles St. footbridge until 3:00 pm.
- Oval area closed to public for Pops rehearsal (Will re-open at approximately 4:00 pm, or as determined by Boston 4 Productions and the Incident Commander.)
- NO parking on Mugar Way from Arlington Street to Charles Street until 6:00am on July 5th. All vehicles remaining will be removed.
- Esplanade curbside reserved for permitted bus parking, from the Longfellow Bridge westbound to the Fielder Foot Bridge. Traffic will continue west bound on Storrow Drive. There will be NO public parking along Storrow Drive for either the rehearsals or the concert.
12:00 p.m. OR AT A TIME TO BE DETERMINED BY THE INCIDENT COMMANDER:
- Storrow Drive will be closed to westbound traffic from the Lee Pool to the Bowker Overpass. All westbound traffic will be diverted to Charles St. Circle. Westbound traffic may re-enter Storrow Drive westbound by heading down Charles Street, to Beacon Street, to the westbound entrance at the Bowker overpass.
- The exit to Arlington Street from the Storrow Tunnel (eastbound) shall be closed until 6:00 a.m. on July 5.
- Mugar Way at Beacon St. closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Pedestrians will be directed to Berkeley St. for entrance to the Esplanade
- Berkeley St. @ Beacon St. closed to vehicular traffic.
- Storrow Dr. East bound will be closed at the Bowker overpass. It will remain closed until July 5, at a time to be determined by the Incident Commander.
- No parking on Memorial Drive (either side) from Massachusetts Avenue to the Longfellow Bridge. All vehicles remaining after this time will be removed.
- Access to Storrow Drive westbound from Leverett Circle to Kenmore Square will be closed to traffic.
- The Storrow Drive Exit Ramp in the Tip O'Neil Tunnel will be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles.
- The Leverett Circle entrance to Storrow Drive West will also be closed. Traffic will be allowed to travel on Msgr. O'Brien Highway to Cambridge and Martha's Road to Boston.
- The following Storrow Dr. on-ramp closures will remain in effect from July 3:
- Berkeley Street
- Charlesgate Area (heading eastbound)
- Bowker Overpass from the Park Drive
- Charles Street Circle. (heading westbound)
- No Parking at Magazine Beach Area. No boat launching in this area.
- Pedestrian footbridge at Charles Street Circle going to the Esplanade closed.
- Fiedler footbridge from Beacon Street going to the Esplanade closed.
- Mugar Way @ Beacon Street closed to all vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Pedestrians wishing to enter the Esplanade will be directed down Beacon Street to Berkeley St. and Clarendon St. for entry.
- No access to Storrow Dr. westbound from the Kenmore Square overpass.
- No access to Sorrow Dr. westbound from the Beacon St. on-ramp under the Bowker overpass
- Memorial Drive in both directions from Mass. Ave. to the Longfellow Bridge closed.
- Main Street, Cambridge from Third Street to the Longfellow Bridge, closed
- Ames Street from Main Street to Memorial Drive, Cambridge, closed
- Wadsworth and Amherst Streets, Cambridge, closed
- Land Boulevard (Cambridge) from Binney Street to Longfellow Bridge closed.
- Hayward, Carlton, Charlotte's Way and Dock Streets in Cambridge, closed.
- Access allowed to One Memorial Drive only with issued permit.
- Longfellow Bridge closed in both directions. Pedestrians will be allowed on the inbound (Cambridge to Boston) side.
- Mass. Ave. Bridge closed in both directions from Beacon Street in Boston to Vassar Street in Cambridge. This year, the bridge will be closed to pedestrian traffic and viewing.
- Memorial Drive from Mass. Ave to the B.U. Bridge closed. Access will be allowed for patrons going to the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Hyatt patrons will be directed to the Vassar St. road closure.
- Vassar Street in Cambridge from Mass. Ave. to Memorial Drive. Access will be allowed for residents.
- Third Street in Cambridge becomes one way from Main Street to Msgr. O'Brien Highway
- Craigie Draw Bridge (@ Leverett Circle) to remain closed for approximately 2 hours to allow traffic to subside.
- Smaller boats that can pass under bridge while in the down position" will be allowed to pass.
- All closures subject to change at the discretion of the Incident Commander
Handicapped Parking- July 4th:
- Mass. Eye & Ear parking lot opens for handicapped vehicles. HP placards are needed for entry to the lot. The Mass. Eye & Ear parking lot will close when the designated handicapped area at the Esplanade is filled, the allotted parking area at the Mass. Eye & Ear lot is filled or at 6:00 pm whichever occurs first.
- MBTA Handicapped Shuttle Vans (The Ride) will cease operation when the handicapped area is filled or at 6:00 pm whichever comes first.
- Vans for the return trip will stage on the Storrow Drive Eastbound side, facing east from the fence opening until the last HP vehicle. When the area becomes clear for movement of HP persons, they will be escorted across Storrow Drive to staged HP vehicles.
- Viewing of fireworks display from 1-93 is strongly discouraged and dangerous. There will be Troopers assigned (Troop E/Tunnels) to this area to strictly enforce "No Stopping".
Hours of Service
Cambridge Police Department
Email Us with general inquiries about the department or questions about resources/programs offered by the police. DO NOT use this form to submit tips or report crimes in progress.
125 Sixth Street