July 4th Celebration Road Closures
Important road closure information for July 3rd & 4th
Listed below are the pedestrian and traffic restrictions that will be in place for Boston’s July 4th celebration. All roadways will remain closed (unless noted otherwise) until the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Labor Force has had an opportunity to clean the roadways. These closures will be updated as needed.
Tuesday, July 3, 2012:
1. Esplanade walkway adjacent to the Charles River closed to pedestrians from the Community Boat Club area to the Hatch Shell. Esplanade sidewalk alongside Storrow Drive remains open.
2. Oval area closed to public for Pops rehearsal (Will re-open at a time designated by B4 Productions).
3. NO parking on Mugar Way from Arlington Street to Charles Street until 6:00am on July 5th. All vehicles remaining will be removed.
1. Esplanade adjacent to the Charles River to pedestrians from the Community Boat Club area to the Hatch Shell. Esplanade sidewalk alongside Storrow Drive remains open.
1. Esplanade curbside reserved for permitted bus parking. From the Longfellow Bridge westbound to the Fielder Foot Bridge.
2. Traffic will continue west bound on Storrow Drive
3. There will be NO public parking along Storrow Drive for either the rehearsals or the concert.
4:00PM OR AT A TIME TO BE DIRECTED BY THE INCIDENT COMMANDER
1. Storrow Drive closed to westbound traffic from the Lee Pool to Berkeley Street. This will include the entrance from Charles Street Circle. Westbound traffic may re-enter Storrow Drive westbound by heading down Charles Street, to Beacon Street, to the westbound entrance at Berkeley Street.
2. The exit to Arlington Street from the Storrow Tunnel (East Bound) shall be closed until 6:00am July 5th.
3. Mugar Way at Beacon St. closed to pedestrians. Pedestrians will be directed to Berkeley St. for entrance to the Esplanade.
Wednesday, July 4, 2012:
***PLEASE NOTE: Due to the Navy air demonstration at approximately 12:00PM on Wednesday, July 4, 2012, road closures may change depending on pedestrian traffic. This is may result in the temporary early closure of Memorial Drive in Cambridge as well as the Longfellow and Mass Ave Bridges.***
1. No parking on Memorial Drive (either side) from Massachusetts Avenue to the Longfellow Bridge. All vehicles remaining after this time will be removed.
1. Access to Storrow Drive (east and west bound) from Leverett Circle to Kenmore Square will be closed to traffic.
2. The Storrow Drive Exit Ramp in the Tip O’Neil Tunnel will be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles.
3. The Leverett Circle entrance to Storrow Drive West will also be closed. Traffic will be allowed to travel on Msgr. O’Brien Highway to Cambridge and Martha’s Road to Boston.
4. These closures will include the on-ramps to Storrow Drive from
- Berkeley Street
- Charlesgate Area (heading Eastbound)
- Bowker Overpass from the Park Drive
- Charles Street Circle.(heading westbound)
5. No Parking at Magazine Beach Area. No boat launching in this area.
6. Pedestrian footbridge at Charles Street Circle going to the Esplanade closed.
7. Pedestrian footbridge from Beacon Street going to the Esplanade closed.
8. Mugar Way @ Beacon Street closed to all pedestrian traffic. Pedestrians wishing to enter the Esplanade will be directed down Beacon Street to Berkeley Street for entry.
1. Memorial Drive in both directions from Mass. Ave. to the Longfellow Bridge closed.
2. Main Street, Cambridge from Third Street to the Longfellow Bridge, closed
3. Ames Street from Main Street to Memorial Drive, Cambridge, closed
4. Wadsworth and Amherst Streets, Cambridge, closed
5. Land Boulevard (Cambridge) from Binney Street to Longfellow Bridge closed.
6. Hayward, Carlton, Charlotte’s Way and Dock Streets in Cambridge, closed.
7. Access allowed to One Memorial Drive only with issued permit.
8. Longfellow Bridge closed in both directions.
1. Memorial Drive from Mass. Ave to the B.U. Bridge closed. Access will be allowed for patrons going to the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
2. Mass. Ave. Bridge closed in both directions from Beacon Street in Boston to Vassar Street in Cambridge.
3. Vassar Street in Cambridge from Mass. Ave. to Memorial Drive. Access will be allowed for residents.
1. Third Street in Cambridge becomes one way from Main Street to Msgr. O’Brien Highway
2. Craigie Draw Bridge (@ Leverett Circle) to remain closed for 2 hours until traffic starts to subside.
3. Smaller boats that can pass under bridge while in the down position will be allowed to pass.
For other important information relating to handicapped parking, please click here.
For a map of the Esplanade, click here.