Attempted Sexual Assault Reported Near Porter Square T Station
Earlier this morning, shortly after midnight, a woman reported to the Cambridge Police Department that she was the victim of an attempted sexual assault on Richdale Avenue. She had departed the Porter Square T Station and was walking alone. The victim was able to fend off the attacker and return to safety. The description of the suspect is limited: a male wearing all dark clothing.
Cambridge Police Department detectives are actively investigating this incident. If anyone has any information regarding this incident, please contact the Cambridge Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division at 617-349-3370.
To help protect yourself from becoming a victim of such crimes, Cambridge Police encourage you to take the following precautions:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times and trust your instincts.
- Always walk with a friend or in a group when possible.
- Walk with confidence on the street and at a good, steady pace. Keep your head up and observe your surroundings. Don't look down at the ground.
- Do not wear earbuds, headphones, or listen to music while walking alone.
- If you feel you are being followed, show you are suspicious – Turn to look at the person. This sends a clear message that you will not be taken by surprise.
- Change directions. If someone is following you on foot, cross the street and vary your pace. If the person following you is in a car, turn and walk in the opposite direction.
- Try to remember descriptive information about the suspect (height, age, race, etc.) to relay to police when reporting the incident.
The Cambridge Police Department offers a self-defense training course for individuals seeking to learn how to physically protect themselves against violence. The course is free and taught by certified instructors. For more information, call the Cambridge Police Department’s Community Services Unit at (617) 349-3236.
Hours of Service
Cambridge Police Department
Acting Police Commissioner
Email Us with general inquiries about the department or questions about resources/programs offered by the police. DO NOT use this form to submit tips or report crimes in progress.
125 Sixth Street