Youth & Family Services
Youth & Family Services goes above and beyond the role of the traditional juvenile unit and will have different levels of support for youth and families. The idea is to intervene early, interact with the youth and their family and work with them to resolve the issue(s) that may have led to the negative act or crime.
Youth Resources Officers interact with youth in schools. The YRO’s will also work directly with the City’s Teen Centers, after school and in the evenings and get more involved with kids in their out of school environment, on a whole new level. Middle school-age youth will be a primary focus of the unit.
The philosophy is to have an all-encompassing program, working with various community partners to offer alcohol and substance abuse counseling, mental health support and other specialty services. Current partners include the Department of Human Service Programs, Cambridge Prevention Coalition, Cambridge Public Schools, Cambridge Health Alliance, Clerk of the Courts Office, District Attorney’s Office and the Salvation Army.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Both "Youth Resource Officers" (YROs) and Juvenile Detectives will be assigned different types of investigations to complete.
- YROs will be assigned those cases involved with their respective schools and will be primarily responsible for diversion cases through the Cambridge Safety Net Collaborative program.
- Juvenile Detectives will be responsible for investigating reports of crimes alleged to have been committed by juveniles and have the ability to still divert cases through the FSU diversion program.
- All FSU officers will assist the Patrol and Investigations sections with calls for service and will have secondary/follow-up responsibility for reports taken.
- Integral member of the Cambridge Safety Net Collaborative focused on prevention, intervention, and diversion strategies aimed at helping Cambridge youth.
Commanding Officer: Lieutenant Leonard DiPietro, 617-349-3232
Unit Supervisor: Sergeant Jonathan Cameron, 617-349-3001
Juvenile Detectives: 617-349-3348
Vassal Lane Upper, Graham and Parks, Haggerty, and Tobin Montessori schools Youth Resource Officer: Officer Christine Levesque
Rindge Ave Upper, Maria Baldwin, and Peabody schools Youth Resource Officer: Officer John Jones
Putnam Ave & Amigos, Kennedy-Longfellow, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and Morse schools Youth Resource Officer: Officer Simon Valentin
Cambridge St. Upper, King Open, Cambridgeport, and Fletcher-Maynard schools Youth Resource Officer: Officer Pam Morris
Cambridge Rindge & Latin, HS Extension Program Youth Resource Officer: Officer Che Santos
Cambridge Rindge & Latin school Youth Resource Officer: Officer Nicole Pacheco