The Records Unit is a controlled public service area which stores all police records and reports. The Records Unit distributes certain reports to the public and to various law enforcement agencies, such as the FBI, U.S. Secret Service, and the U.S. State Department. The Records Unit houses files pertaining to arrests, incidents, and accidents. The unit also issues and archives FID Cards and Licenses to Carry Firearms. As with other units of the Cambridge Police Department, the Records Unit adheres to strict standards of confidentiality. Nothing about a report is discussed over the telephone.
How to Obtain a Record
- For a copy of a police incident report; provided under the "Public Records Law", you may visit the Records Unit in person the cost of an Incident report is $1.00, $5.00 for a copy of an accident report. If you are unable to come in person you may apply for said record by mail; by sending a letter of request, the appropriate fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Cambridge Police Records Unit, 125 Sixth St., Cambridge, MA 02142. Generally, you can not have a copy of a police report for a crime, as this may compromise the privacy of the victim(s) and witnesses; in some cases their information is removed.
- You may also find information about a report on our Daily Public Log, if you wish to receive a copy the cost is .50 a page. Such requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, after which you will be contacted with the results, including any additional fees if applicable.
The Records Unit Also Provides the Following to Cambridge Residents
- Letters of Good Conduct and Adoption:You need to bring a Massachusetts Drivers License or Mass ID and a utility bill proving you are a Cambridge resident, the fee is $20.00 made payable to City of Cambridge by cash or check (credit cards not accepted).
- License to Carry Firearms or FID Cards: The cost of a LTC/FID is $100.00 and is good for 6 years. Please download and complete the following documents (available here) and bring them with you to the Records Unit. If you are a first time applicant you must apply in person during the following hours:
- Mon: 2PM - 4PM & 5PM - 7PM
- Tues - Thurs: 2PM - 4PM
- FID-Chemical Spray (Pepper Spray): A one time fee of $25.00 with free renewals every 6 years. Please download and complete the following documents (available here) and bring them with you to the Records Unit. If you are a first time applicant you must apply in person during the following hours:
- Mon: 2PM - 4PM & 5PM - 7PM
- Tues-Thurs: 2PM - 4PM
- Renewing a LTC/FID: You may come in during regular operating hours (see below). Please download and complete the following documents (available here) and bring them with you to the Records Unit. For further information please call 617-349-3336.
- Motor Vehicle Accident Reports: Can be obtained from the Records Unit the fee is $5.00. For more information call 617-349-3336.
- Sunday/Holiday Work Permits: A Sunday/Holiday Work Permit must be obtained when any contractor wishes to do work falling on a Sunday or Holiday, please call and speak with Sgt. Susan Kale for authorization: 617-349-3210, the cost $25.00.
- 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM Monday
- 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Tuesday to Thursday
- 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM Friday
Email: Records Unit
Unit Commander: Lt. Pauline Carter-Wells, 617-349-9341
Unit Supervisor: Sergeant Susan Kale, 617-349-3210
Hours of Service
Cambridge Police Department
Robert C. Haas
Email Us with general inquiries about the department or questions about resources/programs offered by the police. DO NOT use this form to submit tips or report crimes in progress.
125 Sixth Street