1. Store garbage in metal or heavy plastic containers with tight lids.
2. Place trash outside shortly before pickup. Don't leave plastic garbage bags out overnight.
3. Remove weeds and debris near buildings. Don't give rodents a place to hide.
4. Store open food in metal or glass containers with tight lids.
5. Don't leave extra pet food out. Store it in a tight container.
6. Sweep up food remains, litter, and trash inside and outside your home.
7. Inspect your basement and house for cracks and holes; seal them with mortar.
8. Make sure you have screens on windows; inspect windows and screens for holes.
9. Keep outside doors closed; use metal trim to prevent rodents from gnawing and entering
10. Don't provide hiding places for rodents; store materials such as lumber and boxes on a rack
with a clean, open area underneath. Get rid of unused materials.