How do I obtain a license to drive a taxicab in Cambridge?

• An applicant for a Cambridge taxicab driver’s license must be at least 18 years of age and a licensed Massachusetts driver for at least one year.

• The applicant must bring their Massachusetts Driver’s license to the License Commission Office, 831 Massachusetts Avenue, first floor, any time on Monday through Thursday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday night from 5:00 to 7:30 pm or Friday from 8:30 to 11:30 am;

• At that time, the applicant will pay a ten-dollar fee (cash/check or money order) and authorize the License Commission Hackney Officer to obtain driving record and criminal record (CORI).

• Applicant will also pay $100.00 (money order only). We will register you to attend the next available hackney driver's school, which is held once monthly, for a period of five nights during the same week. On the last evening of the class, the applicant will take the written Hackney Driver’s exam. If the applicant passes both parts of the exam and the criminal and driving record are satisfactory, according to our hackney rules and regulations, a Sixty Day temporary Hackney license will be granted upon the payment of $10.00 and the securing of employment. The new driver will also be given the Sixty Day Temporary Hackney License Training List which needs to be completed and returned within the sixty day period.

• Within sixty days of beginning work under the Temporary Hackney license, the driver will return the Sixty Day Temporary Hackney License Training List to the License Commission. The Hackney Officer will review it and contact the driver. If there are no problems, the driver will be issued a one year license for $32.00.

How do I file a taxicab driver/hackney complaint?

You can file a complaint against a driver of a Cambridge licensed taxicab with our office. Contact our Hackney Police Officer at 617 349-6146 for a complaint form or get one on-line and mail it back to our office. It should be noted here that all Cambridge Taxicabs are required to have the Taxicab License Number (Medallion) in the following locations: inside the cab on the right rear passenger's window, on the rate cards that are attached to either the partition or the dashboard; the license number is also found on the on the rear of the outside of the cab on the Medallion plate and on both rear quarter panels. That number, in addition to the date and the time the incident occurred, is extremely important in expediting our investigation.


Who can I speak to regarding a noise problem?

In the License Commission Office, the Chief Licensing Investigator is the person responsible for investigating noise complaints. However, there are some noise complaints over which we do not have jurisdiction. These include, but are not limited to, tenant to tenant noise within the same building; barking dogs, which are under the jurisdiction of the Animal Control Commission (617) 349-4376; automobile and house alarms which are under the jurisdiction of the Police Department (617) 349-3300 and bell and clock towers, which are exempt from the noise ordinance. Construction noise should be reported to the Inspectional Services Department at (617) 349-6100. If it is a complaint that we are able to investigate, you will be asked to fill out a License Commission complaint form.

How do I apply for a one-day alcohol license?

The following link will explain the process and requirements for applying for this type of license. You should contact our front office at 617 349-6140 if you have any additional questions.

One Day Alcohol License Procedure

How do I apply for a one-day entertainment license?

The following link will explain the process and requirements for applying for this license. You should contact our front office at 617 349-6140 if you have any additional questions.

How do I file a complaint against a licensed establishment?

You can file a complaint at our office against any establishment licensed by this office or any establishment that should be licensed by this office but may have opened without proper licensing. Contact our front office staff at (617) 349-6140 for a complaint form or download a complaint form and mail it back to our office. Once it is received by our office, it will be reviewed by our Executive Director and assigned to an investigator. Our investigator will contact you.

Answers to the most frequently asked pole and conduit questions.



  • Meetings are held every third Thursday of each month and last from one to three hours
  • The cost of an application and permit is $110. per street for residential;$180. for commercial
  • The Pole and Conduit Commissioners are:
    • George Fernandes, City Electrician
    • William Dwyer, Supt. of Streets
      1. If a pole or conduit is to be installed, changed, leased or moved for telephone, electric or cable, the following companies can help:
        • NStar
        • Comcast
        • Verizon
        • The deadline for the filing fee is two weeks prior to the hearing date, by noon
        • Once heard and approved, the permits last six months
        • The agency applying for the permits must be the agency that is going to own/maintain the conduit. They must be DigSafe approved if there is going to be digging

        What is the procedure for filing an application with the Pole and Conduit Commission?

        Procedures for Pole and Conduit applications can be found at: http://www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/~License/permitsandlicenses/pole.html. Questions on filing deadlines, paperwork, etc., should be addressed to Patricia Lewis at 617 349-6141.

        I want to review a file. What are your viewing hours and how much do you charge for copies of documents?

        License Commission file viewing hours are as follows:

        Monday:  9:00am to noon; 1:00pm to 4:00pm and 5:30 to 7:30pm.

        Tuesday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.

        Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

        We charge twenty cents per document copied.

        There may also be a fee for review/redaction of files.

        What are the Taxi fares?

        The most recent taxicab rates can be found on our Hackney/Taxicab Page.


        How do I renew my license to drive a taxicab in Cambridge? What is the fee?

        The licensed Hackney driver must report to the License Commission with current Hackney and Massachusetts Driver's License and file a request for both criminal and driving records. At this time, the licensee pays the $10.00 fee. This request takes approximately three to five weeks to process. If the criminal and driving record checks are deemed satisfactory, a one year ($32.00) or three year ($75.00) license can be issued.

        Is there a renewal grace period for Hackney Driver's Licenses?

        Yes. A Hackney Driver has up to three months from the date of expiration to renew their license. However, if the driver fails to renew the hackney license on time, the licensee cannot operate a taxicab until the license is renewed. If the license is not renewed within the three month period, the licensee must retake and pass the hackney driver's test before the license can be renewed. In cases where it has been more than a year, the applicant has to attend Hackney school.

        Department Information

        Hours of Service

        Monday: 8:30am-8pm
        Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5pm
        Friday: 8:30am-12pm


        Nicole Murati Ferrer, Esq.