Inspectional Services

Food Handler Permit


Permits are required to operate a business within the City of Cambridge.  A permit is non-transferrable when selling a business or changing management. 

Restaurants must obtain an alcohol or non-alcohol permit depending on the type of license they have been granted.
Small retail establishments and supermarkets require a retail permit.
Schools and daycares are required to have a food establishment permit.
Temporary food service permit does not exceed 14 days. Most permits are issued for a one day event.
Mobile food trucks that are licensed through the City of Cambridge License Commission must have a mobile food truck permit to operate within the City.
Farmer's market permits are applied for and issued through the market manager.
Package stores (liquor store) are required to obtain a package store permit.
Bakeries with retail only must obtain a bakery permit.  Bakeries with seating must obtain a non-alcohol food establishment license.

Establishments serving or using milk must obtain a milk license as part of the food establishment permit.
Establishments manufacturing frozen desserts (ice cream, frozen yogurt & soft serve) must obtain a frozen dessert license as part of the food establishment permit.
Establishments selling tobacco items must obtain a tobacco license as part of the food establishment permit.

As a caterer licensed outside of the City of Cambridge, you must fill out and submit to ISD a catering registration form.  As a food establishment licensed by the City who would wish to perform catering, you must obtain a catering license as part of the food establishment permit.

Related Links

ireport request city services, report an issue
google translate this page
Cambridge Alert Network Logo

Visiting City Hall

Cambridge City Hall

795 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge MA, 02139
Ph: 617-349-4000
TTY: 617-349-4242

Hours of Service

Monday: 8:30am-8pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5pm
Friday: 8:30am-12pm

Richard C. Rossi
City Manager

Lisa C. Peterson
Deputy City Manager