- Sidewalk pouring on South side by Ames Street will be completed in early October due to weather delays.
- Sidewalk pouring to also occur in front of Microsoft, Legal Seafoods, Kendall (Outbound) in early October.
- Tree plantings will begin in mid-late October.
- Furniture install will begin in mid-late October.
- Traffic Swap will begin on either Friday, October 9th or Tuesday, October 13th depending on weather. Community will be notified of date of swap by Tuesday, October 6th and variable message boards will be deployed. This traffic pattern will remain in place until the end of November. The area will reopen during the winter months.
- Project includes sidewalk and roadway reconstruction, new vehicular connection from Third St to Main St, enhanced tree plantings and street lighting.
- Brick work is continuing on the North side and much will be in place in the coming weeks.
- Curb and sidewalk work is taking place on the South side from Hayward to Wadsworth.
- Newport Construction is planning on reconstructing the southerly sidewalk on Main St between Hayward and Wadsworth Streets and around the MBTA outbound stairs, during off hours beginning Monday, September 21.
- Excavation of sidewalk along the clock tower building will start at 4 am Monday, September 21. Newport will return at 8 pm Monday evening and work through the night into Tuesday morning, pouring new concrete sidewalks.
- If needed, they will return Tuesday evening, September 22, into Wednesday morning to work 11 pm to 7 am. This work is being done in the evening in order to minimize impact to the MBTA station operation as well as the abutting business entrances while we reconstruct the sidewalks.
- The work zone will be on the Main St sidewalks between Hayward and Wadsworth streets, including sidewalk reconstruction around both MBTA stairs. On Monday morning, once the existing asphalt is removed, temporary metal and/or gravel walks will be placed to the business entrances during the daytime. Once the concrete is poured overnight, as needed, thin plywood or ramps will be placed to allow access to entrances on Tuesday morning.
During the month of August, crews will be focused on reconstructing the sidewalks on the north side of Main Street. The north side of Main Street (sidewalks) is expected to be completed by the end of this month. Once the north side has been completed, crews will begin to reconstruct the south side of Main Street.
During the week of April 21, sidewalk and roadway reconstruction will begin. The road work will take about one month to complete and the sidewalk work will be ongoing through the spring and summer.
We expect construction activities to resume in the fall of 2015.
Crews will mobilize on Main St on Wednesday, February 25 to begin removing the deteriorated pear trees from the project area. The trees have structural flaws that make them susceptible to storm damage. Crews will plant a total of 58 new trees , from 5 different species at the end of the construction this fall. For more information on the Main St tree plan, please visit the Documents tab.
In mid-March, crews are expected to resume utility work on the north side of Main St, between the MBTA station and Ames St. In April, construction activities will ramp up with crews starting road and sidewalk reconstruction. We expect the surface work to continue through the summer.
We expect construction conclude this fall 2015.
Through the Kendall Square Planning Study (K2C2 ), a plan of improvements for Main Street (Ames to Wadsworth) has been developed. The plan will provide a high quality experience for pedestrians and cyclists with reconstructed sidewalks and roadway, enhance transit accommodations, provide a new connection from Third St to Main St, and include seating, bus shelters and bike parking, including artist designed bike racks.
Please also check the K2C2 website for more information on this project.
For more information on the Main Street project, please contact Dan Vallee, project manager, at 617.349.4813.
For more information about the K2C2 study, please contact Iram Farooq at firstname.lastname@example.org /617.349.4606. The Community Development Department TTY line is 617.349.4621.