Brookline Street Reconstruction
Brookline Street Improvements (Henry to Pacific Streets)
This project is complete.
This project includes:
- Upgraded utilities: new water and gas line, new catch basins
- Reconstructed sidewalks and pedestrian ramps.
- Additional pedestrian/ traffic calming:
- Widened sidewalks on the east side
- New sidewalk next to Hastings Square
- Curb extensions at many crosswalks
- Raised intersection at Erie Street
- All-way stop at Putnam Ave to replace the existing traffic signal
- Over 50 new street trees.
- Roadway repaving
- A new bicycle lane (Henry to Green St)
- Maintaining on-street parking to meet the current demand, but moving all spaces to the west side (below Pacific St).
- A series of sidewalk mosaics by artist Mike Mandel commissioned by the Cambridge Arts Council.
- Innovative stormwater management techniques, including a pilot project to use pervious asphalt on the new sidewalk in front of Hastings Square and a pilot installation of a filterra drainage structure between Erie and Valentine.
Learn more about the design at Community Development's web page or by contacting Tegin Teich Bennet: (617) 349-4615 or email@example.com.
- J. Derenzo has been awarded a one year contract to complete these improvements.
- Construction will be supervised by the Cambridge Department of Public Works, with Project Manager Artie O’Brien providing onsite management for the City and assistance to residents and businesses.
- This is noisy, dirty work. You will hear banging and vehicle back-up alarms. Jackhammers, grade-all machines, and backhoes will be used. Some work will extend right up to the edge of private property.
- The phasing of construction will most likely be:
- Drainage utility work (common manhole separation at Erie St, catch basin installation along the entire street);
- Water main installation;
- Sidewalk removal and reconstruction;
- Roadway paving; and,
- Finish work (such as tree planting, pavement marking, and art installation).
- NStar Gas, a private utility company, will also be upgrading the gas line in coordination with this project.
- “No Parking” signs will be posted 24 hours in advance of all work; be sure to check dates/ times.
There will be periods when a section of the street is closed to through traffic, and cars will be detoured to use Waverly Street.
- The contractor and police details will work with neighbors to coordinate access to their properties.
Pedestrian access, access into properties, MBTA Bus Service will be maintained, but may be altered or restricted in certain ways. Weekly trash/ recycling pick up will go on as scheduled.
Cambridge Department of Public Works
147 Hampshire Street
Work hours are 7 AM to 4 PM
For assistance during this project, including any accommodations related to a disability or special need, please contact Kelly Dunn, Community Relations Manager, at 617.349.4870 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For 24-hour emergency assistance please call 617.349.4800.
How can we help you? I'd like...