Recycling Advisory Committee Meeting
8:00 AM - 9:30 AM Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Department of Public Works
147 Hampshire Street
Main Conference Room
Ms. Randi Mail, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-349-4866
Committee members are appointed by the City Manager. All meetings are open to the public. Members of the public may speak during the public comment section for up to two minutes. If you wish to speak, please contact Ms. Randi Mail at 617-349-4866 or email@example.com by 1pm the day before the meeting. You may also email, fax or mail written comments for inclusion in public comments in lieu of appearing to speak in person.
The Committee Chair must first grant permission to non-members who request to speak at the meeting.
April 8, 2015 RAC Meeting Agenda
- Housekeeping, 8 AM (10 min)
- Public comment
- Approve minutes
- Discussion Topics
- Sub-committee Reports – Schools, Outreach & Materials (40 min)
- Revisit RAC Action Items for Apr-Jun (20 min)
- Closing, 9:15 (15 min)
- Action Plan/Decisions
- Check-ins & Social Debrief
The high priority action items:
- Customize support statement for paint EPR legislation in MA provided by PSI. (DG)
- [revised] Increase and institutionalize Cambridge Public School curriculum on waste reduction. (MS & DK)
- [revised] Review DPW recycling outreach budget and advise on spending for FY14, FY15 and beyond. Develop proposal to leverage funds for media campaign. (JV, KC, MO, LN)
- [revised] Materials: 5-year plan to achieve 16 lbs/hh/wk of trash, review DPW webpage, follow up with DPW on rodent control and trash can size, continue developing CPAC working relationship. (JM, RG, SJ, MV)
- Review and recommend changes to the Recycling Ordinance, and the Commercial Rules & Regulations. (all)
The medium priority action items are (prioritized):
- Research options and explore policy recommendations to increase reuse and/or recycling of bulky items such as broken furniture.
- Review and follow-up on Business Recycling Recommendations presented to the commissioners in June 2014.
- Assist with regular outreach to multifamily buildings, publicize big building performance and do surveys to gauge attitudes/awareness.
- Host a roundtable/speaker series on waste reduction, highlighting checkout bag ordinance, curbside organics, and trash barrels.
- Engage City in planning, response & implications for rodent-proof trash barrels, and propose short term, more tangible trash reduction goals (30% less trash by 2020 & 80% less by 2050).
Held at City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Ave, Council Chambers, 2nd floor
- May 13, JM minutes
- June 10, MO minutes
How can we help you? I'd like...
Keeping you connected wherever you are. Learn more about Mobile Cambridge