Make your next party "Zero Waste"
You can reduce or even eliminate waste at your next party or event. The key is careful planning and education.
- Try to serve finger foods to avoid the need for tableware.
- Everything used must be reusable, recyclable or compostable.
- Tell guests what to recycle and compost, and place signs throughout your space.
- Use reusables whenever possible.
- Otherwise, use compostable tableware certified by the US Composting Council. Please note that local compost facilities currently do not want “compostable” cutlery, they find it does not actually compost.
- Make sure there is no plastic, metal or glass in your compost. Collect material in compostable bags, paper bags, or cardboard boxes.
- Residents can drop off food scraps at the Recycling Center at 147 Hampshire St during open hours only (Tues/Thurs 4pm-7:30pm and Sat 9am-4pm). If you have a large quantity, please give us 1-2 days advance notice at
Learn more about recycling, composting and other ways to reduce waste on the Recycling and Trash website.
How can we help you? I'd like...
Dept of Public Works
147 Hampshire St
Hours of Service
Friday: 8:30am-12 noon
24 Hour emergency 617.349.4860
RECYCLING CENTER HOURS
Tuesday & Thursday: 4:00pm-7:30pm
Cambridge Mobile Apps
Keeping you connected wherever you are. Learn more about Mobile Cambridge