City Manager Seeks Members for Recycling Committee by October 22nd
City Manager, Richard C. Rossi seeks Cambridge residents and local professionals interested in serving on the Recycling Advisory Committee (RAC). The RAC is an all volunteer committee which as requested shall provide advice, assistance, and recommendations to the Department of Public Works (DPW) regarding recycling, composting, reuse, extended producer responsibility, and waste prevention. Over the long-term, DPW strives to meet the goals of the MassDEP Solid Waste Master Plan to reduce residential trash. The RAC does this through research, feedback, public outreach, and event planning.
The Committee has been active for over 20 years and should consist of at least nine members with a demonstrated interest in the topics listed above. Members serve a three-year term and are expected to attend monthly meetings (Sept-June). The City seeks members that represent local businesses and property managers going green, Cambridge residents and users of the Recycling Center, non-profit organizations and social service agencies whose goals overlap with waste reduction.
RAC member requirements:
- Knowledge,Skills and Abilities needed:
- Advocacy for state and federal policy on extended producer responsibility
- Knowledge of the reuse industry
- Familiarity with the Cambridge Public Schools
- Knowledge about using recycled materials
- Knowledge about non-toxic alternatives to everyday items
- Duties, Responsibilities, and Minimum Requirements include:
- Attend and participate in monthly meeting, held the second Wednesday of the month (September-June)
- Participate in creating committee direction and implementation of ideas
- Take a leadership role in projects, such as doing research, organizing & attending events, advocating for Extended Producer Responsibility legislation, etc.
- Work with the Public Works Recycling Division, Climate Protection Committee, and other appropriate City staff to provide feedback on City initiatives and collaborate on various projects
- Research different approaches to communication, education and best practices for recycling, composting, reuse and waste reduction programs
- Disseminate outreach materials and post flyers in the community to educate the public
- Write articles for all varieties of media promoting City programs and services including newspaper editorials, blog posts, newsletter articles, etc.
- Initiate, plan, attend and run events to promote recycling, composting, reuse and waste reduction
- Recruit additional volunteers for specific events and projects
- Meet with the community and participate in at least 2-3 events, such as Danehy Park Family Day, Area 4 Community Pride Day, Urban Ag Fair, City Sprouts Festival, Family Fun Day, Fresh Pond Day, Arts in the Park, Summer in the City, block parties.
- Continually promotes positive recycling, composting, reuse, and waste reduction whenever the opportunity presents itself
Interested persons should submit an email by Tuesday, October 22, 2013 describing their relevant experience and their professional interest in these issues to Owen O’Riordan, Acting DPW Commissioner, 147 Hampshire Street, Cambridge, MA 02140, email@example.com.
Please note that all current Committee members interesting in serving again, must submit a letter of interest by 10/22/13.
How can we help you? I'd like...