Frequently asked questions regarding Online payments and Convenience Fees.


How can I pay for online transactions?

Credit card (Visa, MasterCard and Discover), debit card (Visa & MasterCard) and electronic check (“E-check”). Convenience fees will apply to all credit card, debit card and E-check payments whether in-person or online.

Which Public Works services can be paid online?

Large Items/Appliance pick up can be scheduled and paid for online.  The following permit applications can be submitted and paid for online:  crane/boom/pump truck permit, excavation permit, sidewalk closure permit, and park permit.

Can I still pay for these transactions in person?

Yes, you can still make payments in-person during business hours at Public Works office at 147 Hampshire Street. We are open Monday 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon.

How much are the convenience fees?

• Credit cards (Visa, MasterCard and Discover) and debit cards (Visa & MasterCard): 2.5% of your purchase. For example, for curbside pick-up of a dishwasher the fee will be 2.5% of the $25 price, or $0.63. For a senior citizen scheduling the pick-up of a refrigerator the convenience fee will be 2.5% of the $20 price, or $0.50.

• Electronic check (“E-check”): $2.00 flat fee per purchase.

How can I avoid convenience fees?

There is no convenience fee for payments made by cash or check.

Why does the City charge convenience fees for credit card and E-check payments?

Every time a customer pays by credit card or E-check, the City is charged a processing fee. The cost of these fees has been growing over the years with the increase in credit card use. The City administration decided in fiscal year 2012 to implement convenience fees to refrain from passing along these costs to taxpayers.

What do convenience fees cover?

The City does not receive any revenue from convenience fees. Convenience fees are assessed by our third party processor, Govolution, LLC, for the handling, bank processing, transaction fees and secure delivery of online payments.

Are the City’s fees comparable with those charged by other cities and towns?

All municipalities are paying approximately the same costs for convenience fees per transaction. Municipalities cannot legally absorb the cost for credit and debit card transactions for online payments for real estate and personal property taxes. The fees associated with other payments are comparable with those of other communities.

Who can I contact if I have additional questions?

Rebecca Fuentes, Assistant Commissioner for Administration (617.349.6948 rfuentes@cambridgema.gov) or Ellen Katz, Fiscal Director (617-349-6956/ ekatz@cambridgema.gov). Or visit www.cambridgema.gov/theworks for info and links to services.

How can we help you? I'd like...

Service Requests

Commonwealth Connect Promo

Cambridge citizen requests, now online & on the go! Report issues here.


Have a question?
Find the answer in our extensive
Frequently Asked Questions

Dept of Public Works

147 Hampshire St
Cambridge MA 02139


Hours of Service

Monday: 8:30am-8pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5pm
Friday: 8:30am-12pm
24 hour emergency
telephone 617.349.4862