Recycling is mandatory in Cambridge, and easy! You can reduce your trash by at least 50% to help protect the environment and save the City money. Check out our Get Rid of it Right list with details on how to recycle, donate or dispose of just about anything. Click here to sign up for our monthly eNewsletter.
Please comply with these requirements to help reduce rodents, protect public health and ensure cleaner streets and waterways:
- Trash barrels and plastic bags cannot exceed 50 gallons or 50 pounds. No trash in cardboard boxes.
- Trash must be in rodent-resistant barrel with a tight-fitting lid, when stored on private property and when set at the curb for collection. Barrels may be placed at the curb after 6pm the night before collection or by 7am on collection day.
- Trash in plastic bags may be placed at the curb on the day of collection, not the night before. Only heavy duty bags accepted. No thin grocery or kitchen bag
- Receptacles must be removed from the curb by 6pm on the day of collection.
- The Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless will schedule free pickups of furniture in good condition from your home in Cambridge. Pickups are usually the last Friday and the first Monday of every month, except holidays, and there are some extra pickups in June and September.
Public Works has two compliance officers who check the collection routes on a daily basis to ensure compliance with the Refuse & Litter Ordinance.
To submit an application for an exemption or for questions, contact:
Commission for Persons with Disabilities
51 Inman Street, Second floor
How can we help you? I'd like...