Presentations and Entertainers
DPW staff can present at assemblies for the whole school or selected classes in the following topics: Recycling, Composting, Waste Reduction, Household Hazardous Waste. Presentations can be tailored upon request. We can come to meetings for faculty, staff, parent teacher organizations, or recycling clubs.
If you would like to lead a recycling refresher for staff, contact us for resources.
You may wish to bring an entertainers to your school, such as EarthTunes (617-964-7463) and The Magic of Recycling (800-243-1322).
Field trips are an excellent way to engage students in recycling and reducing waste.
DPW Recycling Center, 147 Hampshire Street, Cambridge, MA
Tour the Center with a staff member and see first-hand what is accepted, and examples recycled materials. Tours are approximately 30 minutes and are available during the weekday when the Center is closed. Contact Meryl Brott: 617-349-4836 to schedule a tour.
Casella Recycling, 24 Bunker Hill Industrial Park, Charlestown, MA 02129
Tour the facility where Cambridge’s recyclables get separated and marketed to manufacturers. This is for high school age and up. Younger students can take a "virtual tour" in the education room. Contact Liza: 802-236-3374.
The Green Team Program is an environmental club for Massachusetts classrooms and is free to join. The Massachusetts DEP provides free resources such as educational posters, lesson plans and other helpful materials to help your school learn how to reduce waste and reward classes.
- Send recycling information home with students (contact DPW for materials)
- Distribute and post recycling posters
- Include recycling information on the school web site and in the newsletter
- Publicize the school’s recycling and waste reduction efforts (via school newspaper, web site, bulletin board, etc.)
- Ask students to write about why recycling and reducing waste is important in sustainability efforts
- Coordinate a school waste audit
- Create a "green" bulletin board
- Request a recycling presentation or tour
- Create a community mural or other art project about recycling/waste prevention
- Promote the annual RecycleCraze contest
- Take photos of school leaders and students recycling - make into posters, post on web, etc.
- Organize “waste-free lunches” in the cafeteria
- Hold a reduce-reuse-recycle poster/art contest
- Make videos about reducing, reusing and/or recycling
- Use recycled materials in projects and classroom activities
- Engage students via an active student club
Massachusetts Recycling Assistance to Schools
U.S. EPA: Curriculum & Activities
How can we help you? I'd like...
Dept of Public Works
147 Hampshire St
Hours of Service
Recycling Center Hours
Tuesday & Thursday: 4:00pm-7:30pm
Ms. Randi Mail
Director of Recycling
Cambridge Mobile Apps
Keeping you connected wherever you are. Learn more about Mobile Cambridge