6+ Unit Buildings
The City’s Mandatory Recycling Ordinance requires that any building that generates waste in Cambridge must recycle. We provide free recycling "toters" and weekly curbside collection service to all residential buildings. Multi-family buildings should have 1 recycling toter for every 4 units.
Please comply with these requirements:
- Place recycling at the curb after 6pm the day before collection or by 7am on collection day.
- Remember that during holiday weeks, collection is delayed one day.
- Toters must not block the sidewalk. Empty toters must be removed from the curb by 6pm the day of collection.
- Recycling can be rejected. Remember no trash, no plastic bags, no Styrofoam and no food waste.
If you’ve just moved in, ask your building manager or landlord how recyclables are handled. If your building does not have a way for you to recycle, contact us at: 617.349.4836.
**New multi-family residential developments with 75+ units that request City service are required to pay a set-up charge for toters to collect recyclable materials.
Educate Residents and Troubleshoot Problems!
- Report broken toters and get them replaced
- Ask for more toters if recycling is overflowing (we recommend 1 toter for every 4 units)
- Request new labels for your toters to reduce contamination.
How can we help you? I'd like...
Dept of Public Works
147 Hampshire St
Hours of Service
Recycling Center Hours
Tuesday & Thursday: 4:00pm-7:30pm
Ms. Randi Mail
Director of Recycling
Cambridge Mobile Apps
Keeping you connected wherever you are. Learn more about Mobile Cambridge