Sidewalk Obstruction Requirements
Permit for any type of sidewalk obstruction in the right-of-way. See links at bottom of page for permit applications.
1. Submit a completed permit application that includes:
a) Contractor’s name, address and phone number
b) Contact person
c) Emergency phone number (24 hour access)
d) If applicant is a sub-contractor, name of primary contactor
e) Project location
f) Requested start and end dates
g) Requested hours
h) List obstruction details: pipe staging, ladders, display table, project development, placing of barriers or describe the obstruction
i) Obstruction size: Square footage of obstruction
j) Sign and date application
2. Submit a detailed traffic management plan that demonstrates the following:
a) How the contractor plans to direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic safely around the work area
b) Demonstrates the use of traffic controls and signs that follow MUTCD specifications
c) Reflects the unique location of the specific work area that is listed on the permit application
d) Takes into account pedestrian traffic, vehicle traffic, cyclists, bus stops, handicap parking, loading zones and reflects ADA/ABB requirements.
3. Pay permit fees at time of application. If obstruction size is greater than 50 square feet an additional square footage charge will be applied.
4. The contractor must have a valid $5000.00 surety bond on file at the DPW.
5. The contractor must have on file at the DPW a certificate of insurance that names the City as additionally insured in an amount not less than $1,000,000.00 per occurrence and $3,000,000.00 in aggregate for personal injuries or property damage.
Permits will not be reviewed until the above requirements are met.
Please note: Permit hours are from Monday to Friday 7am to 3pm. Work outside these hours, including weekend work, requires special permission. If permission is granted, the contractor will be required to pay overtime costs for inspections.
(PDF) or APPLY ONLINE
How can we help you? I'd like...
Dept of Public Works
147 Hampshire St
Hours of Service
Cambridge Mobile Apps
Keeping you connected wherever you are. Learn more about Mobile Cambridge