April 2011 Recycling E-Newsletter
Manage Your Compost Bin & Garden Properly
Composting yard waste and food scraps is a great way to reduce waste and curb climate change. remember to maintain the right ratio: 3 parts “browns” (i.e. leaves, shredded cardboard, crumpled paper bags) to 1 part “greens” (food scraps, grass). Always bury greens or cover up with browns. No meat, bones, fat, dairy or foods cooked with oil or butter. Rinse out eggshells. See more tips online!
Get Rid of It Right
Check out our “Get Rid of It Right” list with details on how to recycle, donate, or dispose of just about anything. Find info on appliances, automotive parts, containers (glass, metal & plastic), construction debris, clothing & footwear, electronics, food & cooking oil, furniture & household goods, glass, household hazardous items, paper & cardboard, packaging, plastics, and yard & garden.
Stump us – FAQs!
Find answers to common questions related to curbside recycling, trash, backyard composting, composting indoors with worms and our drop-off food scraps program.
Recycling Guide in Different Languages
On the new City website, you can download the Recycling & Trash Guide, now available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Amharic (Ethiopian) and Portuguese.
Love Food Hate Waste?
Every year in the US we throw away more than 34 million tons food. Wasted food is a waste of money and a major contributor to climate change. The UK organization known as WRAP sponsors Love Food Hate Waste. Check out tasty leftover recipes, a portion calculator, top tips, and date label advice to help us make the most of the food we buy.
Volunteer for Recycling
We can always use your help. If you want to volunteer at the office, Recycling Center, from home, or in your neighborhood, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, helping at events for 2-3 hours is fun because you get to enjoy music and food, make sure that recycling is happening, educate adults and kids, and get a free t-shirt (while supplies last). Here are some upcoming events:
• MayFair (5/1, rain date 5/4, Noon-6pm, Harvard Square)
• Santa Cristo Feast (5/13-5/15, Cardinal Medeiros & Cambridge Streets)
• Fresh Pond Day (5/7)
• Riverfest (6/4, noon-6pm, Charles River)
• GLBT Block Party (6/10, 8pm-midnight, Albany St)
• Hoops N’Health (6/18 rain date 6/25, 10am-8pm, Hoyt Field)
• Make Music Harvard Square (6/19)
• City Dance Party (6/24, 7-11pm)
• GLBT Block Party (8/13, 8pm-midnight, Albany St)
• Area IV Back to School Fair (9/10 rain date 9/17, Sennott Park)
• Caribbean Festival (9/18, noon-6pm, Kendall Square)
• Danehy Park Day (9/24 rain date 9/25, 11am-4pm)
• Area IV Community Pride Day (TBD, 10am-6pm)
• Urban Ag Fair & RiverSing (TBD, Winthrop St)
• Oktoberfest & Honk Festival (10/2 rain date 10/16, noon-7pm)