March 2011 Recycling E-Newsletter
Free Public Shredding Event (3/12)
Bring unwanted records and documents to be shredded and recycled on Saturday, 3/12 at the Central Square Post Office, 770 Massachusetts Ave from 11AM - 2PM. For more info, 617-349-6150 or email@example.com.
Worm Composting Workshop (3/14)
Learn how to compost with worms on Monday 3/14 at 6pm at Harvest Coop, 581 Mass Ave (Central Square). You can turn food scraps in nourishing soil and compost tea for your houseplants and garden, while protecting the climate from potent methane emissions from landfills.
Collection of Extra Recycling Bins (3/21 – 4/1)
Extra blue bins will be picked up the last two weeks of March. Leave bins stacked and upside down at the curb the day after your regular collection day. By the way, we are recycling more with the new single stream program! Since November 2010, tons recycled increased 11% compared to the year before! Thanks for using the new toters on wheels and making a commitment to recycle as much as possible.
Yard Waste Collection Begins (Begins 4/1)
Separate yard waste collection from residents begins April 1st and ends the week of December 12-16, 2011.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection (Next is 4/9)
Cambridge residents can bring chemicals, cleaners, paints, tires, propane tanks, waste fuels to the next collection event on Saturday 4/9 from 9am-1pm. NEW LOCATION: at Parking Lot on Field Street at Fern Street by Danehy Park. Click here for info on materials accepted, future dates, and alternative options.
Visit the Recycling Center!
Did you know that the City’s Recycling Center accepts scrap metal, food scraps, plastic bags, small electronics, printer cartridges, non-alkaline batteries, fluorescent bulbs, packaging peanuts, and more? We are open Tuesdays/Thursdays 4pm-7:30pm and Saturdays 9am-4pm. We are located at 147 Hampshire St, in the back right corner of the Public Works yard.
Volunteer for Recycling
We can always use your help. If you want to volunteer at the office, Recycling Center, from home, or in your neighborhood, let us know! Also, helping at events for 2-3 hours is fun because you get to enjoy music and food, make sure that recycling is happening, educate adults and kids, and get a free t-shirt (while supplies last). Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping out. Here are some upcoming events:
• MayFair (5/1, raindate 5/4, Noon-6pm, Harvard Square)
• Santa Cristo Feast (5/13-5/15, Cardinal Medeiros & Cambridge Streets)
• Fresh Pond Day (5/7)
• Riverfest (6/4, noon-6pm, Charles River)
• GLBT Block Party (6/10, 8pm-midnight, Albany St)
• Hoops N’ Health (6/18 raindate 6/25, 10am-8pm, Hoyt Field)
• Make Music Harvard Square (6/19)
• City Dance Party (6/24, 7-11pm)
• GLBT Block Party (8/13, 8pm-midnight, Albany St)
• Area IV Back to School Fair (9/10 raindate 9/17, Sennott Park)
• Caribbean Festival (9/18, noon-6pm, Kendall Square)
• Danehy Park Day (9/24 raindate 9/25, 11am-4pm)
• Area IV Community Pride Day (TBD, 10am-6pm)
• Urban Ag Fair & RiverSing (TBD, Winthrop St)
• Oktoberfest & Honk Festival (10/2 raindate 10/16, noon-7pm)