Moving Container or Crate
Apply For Your Permit Online
A Moving Container Permit reserves space at a specific time and location to park a container on a City street while moving materials in or out of a building. Containers cannot be used for construction or personal storage purposes, are limited to 12x8x8 in size and can remain at your residence for no longer than 3 days. Tractor Trailers cannot un-hitch a semi-trailer from its cab and leave it on a City street at any time.
City staff will post signs at the requested location for your container once your permit is approved and paid for. Permits can only be posted in front of your residence and cannot be posted in spaces reserved for persons with disabilities, across driveways, within ten feet of a fire hydrants or in locations posted no parking or no stopping.
How to Apply
Permit applications must be submitted and paid for at least 7 calendar days (one week) before the installation date. For example, an application for a Tuesday permit must be submitted and paid for by 11:59 pm on the previous Tuesday. This requirement allows time to approve the application and post signs 48 hours in advance so that people can move vehicles parked at permitted locations. To apply, please click on the link at the bottom of this page for the online application form or come to our office at 344 Broadway.
- To reserve space at a metered location, you must select the meter numbers from the dropdown on the permit application. To see the specific location of meters on a map click here.
- When applying online, after clicking the submit permit application button, you should be prompted to pay for your permit. If you do not see the payment screen or you cannot complete your payment, please call our office at (617) 349-4721. Your application will not be processed by our staff until payment is received.
- Once our staff approve your permit, we will send you a copy of your approved permit via email as a PDF attachment. In some instances emails will end up in spam or junk folders. Please check all email folders for your permit. If you do not receive this email by noon on the next business day after you have applied and paid for your permit, please contact our office to make sure that we have received your permit application and that your payment is complete. Thank you.
Container/Crate Permits are issued for 40 feet of space for 3 days only with a fixed permit fee of $150 for the 3 day period. The 40 foot requirement is to ensure companies have sufficient space to install and remove containers. The meter fee (if applicable), is $10.00/day/meter.
- If a vehicle is parked in the space posted for your container/crate, please contact the Cambridge Police Department by following the instructions on your permit.
- You must make provisions for pedestrian safety and/or emergency vehicles when necessary.
- All containers/crates must be temporarily relocated to accommodate street cleaning and snow emergencies.
Permits cannot be modified after signs have been posted unless due to extreme weather conditions. If you need to request a posting modification after signs are posted, the City cannot provide a refund and you must reapply and pay for a new permit.
The City of Cambridge retains the right to revoke or deny street occupancy permits at any time for reasons including, but not limited to the following: non-compliance of any state law, City Ordinance, failure to comply with the above guidelines or failure to make payments.
All City permits are subject to review and can be revoked at any time per order of the Traffic, Parking & Transportation Director.
Apply For Your Permit Online