Resident Parking Permit
Resident Parking Permit Application
Cambridge residents can renew their Resident Parking Permits (RPP), and/or Visitor Parking Permit, by mail, in person at 344 Broadway, or online by visiting our RPP Renewal Website here. We are working diligently to issue the 2018 permits. Please apply no later than January 12th, 2018.
Resident Parking Permits allow Cambridge residents to park their vehicles, including motorcycles, in locations throughout the City posted "Parking by Permit Only".
The purpose of the City's Resident Parking regulation is to maximize the availability of parking for Cambridge residents while discouraging long-term parking on residential streets near commercially zoned areas or transportation access points.
All permits expire each year on January 31. Each Cambridge household is also eligible to receive one Visitor Parking Permit. A Visitor Parking Permit is provided to the first person who applies for a Resident Parking Permit from that household.
If no one in your household owns a vehicle, you can find information about applying for a Visitor Parking Permit only here.
The rules on the back of the Visitor Parking Permit are strictly enforced, be sure to read and understand the rules to comply with the permit.
The City of Cambridge does not provide short-term parking permits for summer school students or sub-letters. Individuals seeking on-street parking permits must meet the eligibility requirements for a Resident Parking Permit outlined below.
To be eligible for a Resident Parking Permit:
- You must be a Cambridge resident.
- All outstanding parking tickets in your name must be paid prior to receiving any on-street Resident or Visitor Parking Permits.
- Additionally, except for the specific situations described below, your vehicle must be registered with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) in your name at your Cambridge address with the garage code being Cambridge.
- Fulfill the proof of residency requirements here.
We periodically compare our vehicle records with the RMV's list of principal garaging (garage code). We cancel permits for cars that are no longer garaged in Cambridge according to the RMV.
We make exceptions to these requirements for residents in the process of moving into Cambridge, for residents renting cars in their names, and residents in the military on active duty with orders to work or study in Cambridge or nearby.
If you purchase a new car you must apply for a new Resident Parking Permit. If you move within Cambridge, you must contact us and the RMV, or your insurance company, to update our records and exchange your Visitor Parking Permit.
How to Apply
Both Residential and Visitor Parking Permits expire on January 31, and can be renewed starting in the preceding November.
Residents who have previously applied for and received either a Resident Parking Permit or Visitor Parking Permit have the option of renewing their permit(s) online for 2018! Avoid lines and apply at your own convenience.
New Resident Parking Permits may be obtained by mail or in person at our office at 344 Broadway. When submitting your application, please include or bring with you a copy of your vehicle registration, proof of residency, payment (as required, see fee information below). Additionally, if the vehicle is an employer-owned vehicle, you will need a letter from your employer. If you are mailing in the application, you will need to pay by check and include an application form, which can be found here.
- $25.00 for the initial Resident Parking Permit. This cost includes one Visitor Parking Permit per household.
- $25.00 per vehicle for any additional Resident Parking Permits in the household.
- There is no fee for senior citizens (65 years and above) or persons with disabilities. To waive fee, if you are a senior citizen include proof of age with your application. If you are a person with a disability, include a copy of the front and back of your parking placard unless you have a persons with disabilities license plate.
- $25.00 replacement fee for new Resident Parking Permit when purchasing a new vehicle. This fee is waived if the old sticker is returned, even in pieces.
- $20.00 per week for a temporary Resident Parking Permit unless you already have a Resident or Visitor Parking Permit (Restrictions apply).
Mail-in applications must include a check covering the appropriate fee. Please do not mail cash! Checks can be made out to the City of Cambridge.
Resident Parking Permit Application