Veterans' Bill of Rights
M.G.L., Chapter 115 and 108 CMR (Code of Massachusetts Regulations)
You have a right to:
- File a written application for veterans' benefits at any time. You can insist upon this right, even if told that you are ineligible. 108 CMR 4:02 (1)
- Receive assistance from you local veterans' agent in completing your application. (M.G.L. c. 115, s. 3)
- Receive a full explanation of the services and benefits available under M.G.L.,Ch. 115, as well as other available benefits.
- Receive a written notice and explanation of the approval or denial of your application for benefits. 108 CMR 8:02
- Be treated with dignity and respect and to receive accurate, courteous and timely service.
- Appeal and request a hearing if you disagree with any action taken in your case. 108 CMR 8:07(1)
- Expect confidentiality; personal information will not be collected or used except for the purpose of determining your eligibility for benefits. (M.G.L. c. 40. s.51)
- Receive fair and equal treatment without regard to sex, race, religion, handicap, ethnicity or national origin. (M.G.L. c. 151B, s3)
- Preference in public employment (M.G.L. c. 31, s.25 and c. 41, sl12)
For addition information on your rights, call Cambridge Veterans' Services at (617) 349-4761, or call the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' State Office of Veterans' Services at (617) 210-5480.