What do I do if I want to file a complaint?

The first thing you want to do is collect as much information as available. For example if you are in supermarket and there is a problem with a scale, we need to known register number or department location, or gas pump number and grade of gas, we also need to know location of establishment, and any information that you might think is pertinent. You will have a couple of ways to submit this complaint; you can e-mail us at jcassidy@ci.cambridge.ma.us. Or call us at 617-349-6133 or faxes us at 617-349-6134. We take all complaints very seriously, and we respond to these as quickly as we can.

What are the dimensions of a cord of wood?

128 cubic feet. Stack your wood neatly by placing the wood in a row, with the pieces touching and parallel to each other, and with as few gaps as possible. Multiply the length times the width times the height of the stack. If this equals 128 cubic feet, then you have a cord of wood. Common measurements of a cord of wood are 8 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet and 16 feet by 2 feet by 4 feet.

I have a 20 gallon gas tank, but the pump says I put in 20.5 gallons into an empty tank. Can this be possible?

Yes. The size of your gasoline tank stated in your owner's manual is only an estimate. The actual volume it holds can be higher or lower than the stated size. But if you still feel the pump is inaccurate file a complaint we will investigate it.

What is tare weight?

This is the weight of all wrapping, packaging, or any other material used to contain or transport the product. Items must be sold by net weight (the weight of the product itself). Selling a product by gross weight (net weight + tare weight) is illegal.

How often do you check commercial weighing and measuring devices?

We inspect and seal these annually. To determine if we have sealed the device, look for a current Weights & Measures seal. For example in this city we used two types of seals, a vinyl seal which you would find on scales and gas pumps, and aluminum seals that would be found on taximeters and oil truck meters. These seals change colors every year. For even years the color would be green, for odd years the color would be red, you can see examples of these seals below as shown.

 seal imageround shape seal

What do you do if you find a device to be in error?

We place a "CONDEMNED TAG "on the device. Which means the device is taken out service until it has been repaired by certified repairperson. We will re-inspect the device to verify that it is now in compliance with the law.

 condemned tage image

What steps can I take to prevent being cheated at a gas station?

First verify that the post price sign and pumps prices are the same. Next make sure the pump starts at zero. Know the estimated size of your gasoline tank. And make sure the pump has updated Weights & Measures seal on it.

 gas pump picture

What steps can I take to prevent being shorted on a weighing or measuring device?

First you can make sure the device is on solid and level surface and that you are able to see the display. The device must start at zero. There should not be anything touching the device. Also watch the person who is doing the weighing and measuring on the device to make sure that nothing extra has been added. Also look for inspection seal to make sure that we have been to that location and the device has been tested.

How can I avoid being overcharged at the register?

The best way to avoid being overcharged is to have itemized list of what you are purchasing with shelf price on it, so you will be to compare them at the checkout register.

What should I do if I am overcharged?

If you feel that you have been overcharged for an item or items, this would be the procedure that you will want to follow, first alert the cashier of the overcharge, asking the cashier to enter the correct price. If this process does not solve the problem ask to see the store manager to correct the error. This should correct the problem but if not notification of our department and we will investigate the complaint and if the overcharge is found at that time a civil citation will be issued at that time for the overcharge.