Informational Alert | Coronavirus Updates

DPW offices at 147 Hampshire St. are open to the public, by appointment only. Appointments can be made by phone at 617-349-4800 or by email at Individual staff are also available for appointments outside of these hours as needed; please contact the office with the details of your issue, and we will coordinate with the appropriate staff member. Many DPW services can be provided online, and DPW phones are staffed 24/7 to respond to urgent concerns.

Tree Protection Ordinance Amendment Extended

News Image

City of Cambridge Tree Protection Ordinance Amendment Extended

Effective February 22, 2021, the City Council has voted to extend the Tree Protection Ordinance Amendment requiring a permit to remove a "significant tree" on private property.

"Significant trees" have a trunk diameter of 8 inches or more (measured 4 feet above ground).

Permits will only be issued in the following circumstances:

  • The tree is dead or dangerous;
  • An emergency exists relative to public health, safety or welfare; 
  • Removal of the tree is necessary to complete a significant utility infrastructure project;
  • Removing the tree may result in a healthier tree canopy;
  • The tree poses a significant risk to an adjacent existing structure.

In each of these cases, a completed Permit Application Form and all associated documentation must be submitted to be considered for a permit. In the event a tree had to be removed due to an emergency situation prior to receiving a permit, an application must be submitted retroactively. 

The extension of this ordinance amendment is valid until April 22, 2021 or until an additional amendment is put in place, whichever comes first. 

For complete permit requirements, please visit the online permitting system.

Page was posted on 3/5/2021 2:03 PM
Page was last modified on 3/5/2021 2:03 PM
Contact Us

How can we help?

Please provide as much detail below as possible so City staff can respond to your inquiry:

As a governmental entity, the Massachusetts Public Records Law applies to records made or received by the City. Any information received through use of this site is subject to the same provisions as information provided on paper.

Read our complete privacy statement

Service Requests

Enter a service request via Commonwealth Connect for things like missed trash pickups, potholes, etc.