Ellery Street Reconstruction Project
Reconstruction of Ellery Street between Cambridge St and Broadway
This project is now complete.
For more information on this project, please click on the Project Background tab.
This project was completed in the summer of 2010.
This project includes:
Stormwater Management Improvements
- Approximately 680 linear feet of 15-36" RCP stormdrain on Cambridge Street, Ellery Street, And Broadway
- 4-foot, 5-foot, 6-foot, 8-foot, and 4-foot by 8-foot storm drain manholes with and without 4-foot deep sumps
- Diversion structures at Ellery and Cambridge Streets and Broadway at Trowbridge Street
- A new drain line on upper Ellery Street connecting to the storage tank built in the Public Library contract
- A new section of drain line on Broadway connecting to the same tank
When activated, the tank will be able to temporarily store approximately 380,000 gallons of water during heavy rain events and discharge it at a later time, enhancing system capacity and reducing street flooding
- Relocation of the 8" water main and 500 feet of new water main on upper Ellery Street, to make room for the new drain
- Relocation of a section of 24" water main on Cambridge Street
- A lower sewer main on upper Ellery Street, to make room for the new drain
- Removal of illicit connections
Other improvements include:
- New Sidewalks between Broadway and Cambridge Street
- New pedestrian ramps between Broadway and Cambridge Street
- New pavement between Broadway and Cambridge Street
- New pedestrian ramps and a traffic calming bumpout on Broadway at Trowbridge Street
- New sidewalk on Broadway's south side at Trowbridge Street
- New catchbasins on Broadway at Trowbridge Street
- P. Gioioso and Sons, Inc. has been awarded a contract to complete these improvements.
- Construction will be supervised by the Cambridge Department of Public Works, with Project Manager Lou Mothon providing onsite management for the City and assistance to residents and businesses.
- The contractor and police details will work with neighbors to coordinate access to their properties.
- This is noisy, dirty work. Jackhammers, grade-all machines, backhoes and excavators will be used. You will hear banging and vehicle back-up alarms. Some work will extend up to the edge of private property.
- “No Parking” signs will be posted 24 hours in advance of all work; be sure to check dates and times.
- Pedestrian access, access into properties, and MBTA Bus Service will be maintained, but may be altered or restricted in certain ways. Weekly trash and recycling pick up will go on as scheduled.
Cambridge Department of Public Works
147 Hampshire Street
Work hours are 7 AM to 4 PM
If you need additional information or assistance related to this work please contact Lou Mothon, Project Manager at 617-349-4828 or by email at email@example.com.
For assistance during this project, including any accommodations related to a disability or special need, please contact Kelly Dunn, Community Relations Manager, at 617-349-4870 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For 24-hour emergency assistance please call 617-349-4860
How can we help you? I'd like...
Dept of Public Works
147 Hampshire St
Hours of Service
Friday: 8:30am-12 noon
24 Hour emergency 617.349.4860
RECYCLING CENTER HOURS
Tuesday & Thursday: 4:00pm-7:30pm
Cambridge Mobile Apps
Keeping you connected wherever you are. Learn more about Mobile Cambridge