Park & Public Area Usage Policy

Danehy Park Family Day-clown juggling
  • Proof of residency will be provided to the satisfaction of the City of Cambridge.
  • Payment of ($25.00) must be made at time of application, before permit is issued.  Payment can be made via phone with credit card, via check sent in with the permit application, or in person with cash, check or credit card.
  • Residency requirement that  at least 50% of the participants must be residents of Cambridge.
  • Cambridge based companies sponsoring requests for permits, must certify that all participants are employed by and on the payroll of the company/industry.
  • Fields and/or parks cannot be reserved by telephone.
  • Sunday restriction, Cambridge Common athletic field can be reserved after 12pm.
  • Permits are not transferable.
  • Approved permits shall be used for designated areas only.
  • All vehicles should be in assigned parking areas only.
  • Events must remain open to the general public.
  • Some events may require approval of other City agencies.
  • Use of tents, canopies, and/or amplification of music will require special permission.  Permitted tents can be secured with sandbags or concrete blocks only, use of stakes is prohibited.

The following is prohibited in parks, fields, and open areas:
Use of alcohol, drugs, firearms, fireworks, explosives, littering, animals, making fires (cooking) undue noise, public nuisances, disturbing the peace, soliciting, loitering, and destruction of property.

Cambridge School Department and other City agency activities must be allowed to finish their activities before permittee may use the park/play field.  The City of Cambridge reserves the right to revoke  permits or change schedules.  If permits cannot be used because of inclement weather, a credit will be given for future use.

Person(s) or Organization(s) permitted to use facilities shall protect the property from abuse and shall be responsible for any damage that occurred in connection with or in consequence with such use.  Such person(s) and/or organizations(s)  shall be  responsible for the behavior of person(s) attending.

Public Safety Charges

The City does not charge public safety services for non-commercial expressive events in the City’s parks. However, the City may charge public safety services for other types of events in the City’s parks.

View the permit application for parks and public areas.

How can we help you? I'd like...

Service Requests

Commonwealth Connect Promo

Cambridge citizen requests, now online & on the go! Report issues here.


Have a question?
Find the answer in our extensive
Frequently Asked Questions

Dept of Public Works

147 Hampshire St
Cambridge MA 02139


Hours of Service

Monday: 8:30am-8pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5pm
Friday: 8:30am-12pm