Illegal dumping


Residents are encouraged to report illegal dumping by calling the Department of Public Works at 617.349.4800, sending an email, or reporting via the Commonwealth Connect app or website.  

Dumping anything except for unpolluted water into storm drains (catch basins) is a problem for local rivers, ecosystems, wildlife habitat and public health. Curbside catch basins are the entry points of the stormwater drainage system, which can discharge to either the Charles River or Alewife Brook. Additionally, catch basins filled with debris can create unhealthy conditions in residential neighborhoods by becoming a breeding ground for rats, roaches and disease.  You should report witnessing any illegal dumping into storm drains by calling Public Works at (617) 349-4800 or by using the Commonwealth Connect app or website.

Items you should report include:

  • motor oil
  • antifreeze
  • soapy wash waters
  • pet waste
  • yard clippings
  • paint
  • construction wash waters

How can we help you? I'd like...

Service Requests

Commonwealth Connect Promo

Cambridge citizen requests, now online & on the go! Report issues here.


Have a question?
Find the answer in our extensive
Frequently Asked Questions

Dept of Public Works

147 Hampshire St
Cambridge MA 02139


Hours of Service

Monday: 8:30am-8pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5pm
Friday: 8:30am-12pm