Public Works issues permits related to construction impacting public streets and sidewalks, as well as sewer and stormwater infrastructure and parks. 

If you are a contractor looking for assistance related to the permit application process, please see our Contractor Resources.

If you would like assistance related to possible noncompliance at construction sites (ie. working without a permit, working outside of permitted hours, poor site management), please contact a Public Works' Utilities Inspector:  Edward Chaisson at 617.349.4875/ or Paul Almeida at 617.349.6953/

Please note that the Inspectional Services Department issues permits related to construction on private property.

How can we help you? I'd like...

Service Requests

Commonwealth Connect Promo

Cambridge citizen requests, now online & on the go! Report issues here.


Have a question?
Find the answer in our extensive
Frequently Asked Questions

Dept of Public Works

147 Hampshire St
Cambridge MA 02139


Hours of Service

Monday: 8:30am-8pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:30am-5pm
Friday: 8:30am-12pm