Refuse and Litter
Cambridge Municipal Code, Chapter 8.24 was drafted to help reduce rodent problems, protect public health and ensure cleaner streets.
Citations (fines of $25.00 per violation) will be issued for the following violations:
1. Trash/recycling out before 6:00 p.m. on the day before collection
2. Trash in plastic bags out the night before collection
3. Trash bags used are not heavy-duty bags
4. Trash barrel(s) have no tight-fitting lids
5. Trash in plastic bags or barrels exceeding 50 pounds or 50 gallons
6. Trash/recycling out 2-3 days before pickup
7. Cardboard not flat or larger than 3 feet by 3 feet bundles (changed with Single-stream recycling)
8. Cardboard boxes used as trash receptacles
9. No participation in the recycling program
If you have a disability and would like information regarding exemption for the time that you may place trash and recycling at the curb, contact the Commission for Persons with Disabilities at 617.349.4692. However, trash still must be in the proper receptacles.
For information regarding noncompliance with trash and recycling ordinances, please contact: Tom Riordan, 617.349.4843/ email@example.com or Maryann Wojakowski, 617.349.4816/ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about Cambridge's Recycling and Trash programs.
How can we help you? I'd like...
See Code of Ordinances
for Cambridge, MA